Why I Joined A Service Fraternity

Why I Joined A Service Fraternity

It's those split second decisions that can change your life.

49
Why I Joined A Service Fraternity
APO

There is this feeling you get. A feeling unlike like any other that just screams to you, "this is right." It is a feeling that makes you ponder the direction you are going in. It is is one that mirrors the warming powers of a hearth as it fills you with undeniable gladness. It is one that raises the spirits of those it touches and allows them to feel a sense of place. The feeling possesses the ability to crush the negative spirits within a person. It is one that just feels right.

I came across this quote some time ago from Nelson Mandela who stated, "There is no passion to be found playing small — settling for a life that is less than the one you are living."

We often find ourselves being encouraged to follow this feeling when we are choosing which college to attend or what major field of study to pursue. In the end, it is our decision, is it not? So when parents, friends, or other relatives provide their opinions, we become frustrated as a struggle between what we feel and others feel is in contention. We struggle to be happy when others advise us against what our hearts and minds want. Like Mandela stated, we become small when our passions are not being fulfilled or are absent. Thus, when we ultimately follow that old cliche that advises us to follow our hearts, then we truly can find ourselves and our joy.

For myself, I believe in the power of this feeling. Its potency has guided me through some of the most monumental decisions in my life. "Follow where you feel at home," I reminded myself when I chose to attend Seton Hall University. "Follow your passion," I reminded myself when chose my major.

With all those decisions aside, my freshman year came and went with something missing. Negativity generally filled my personal life, but I learned that we must not let it define us. At school, I felt I could transcend the negativity. I realized a part of me was still missing as I walked around campus. Every day was mundane. Sure, I had wonderful times with friends, but I was not pursuing my own interests.

Around me, I watched as friends, acquaintances, and everyone in-between found something from a club to a social Greek organization. People had pushed me to rush social or pushed me to one club or another, but nothing ever spoke to me. My own individual passions and pursuits did not lay there. So why go if I would be unhappy?

At the beginning of my second year, I heard of the presence of a service fraternity on campus. Intrigued, I made the split-second decision to attend an information session. I walked around, mingled with current brothers, and ultimately enjoyed my time spent there.

In a split second, your life can change.

I made the decision to go to the event. And subsequently, I made the decision to attend the start of a new member process just a few days after.

A void had been filled. As an individual, I am passionate about helping humanity in any shape or form that I can. Having been so dedicated to service throughout my life, my involvement in service lacked for me my first year. I was not following what I loved to do. My passion of helping others was not being fulfilled. However, once I attended the information session, began my process, and experienced the power of this organization firsthand, I felt a sense of self-transcendence. I felt at home.

We surprise ourselves, sometimes, when we follow through with a decision we never thought we would do just a year before. It isn't unpleasant but one that makes you reflect on how far you have come. You have become a better person. You have become a happier person.

It is both genuine and refreshing to experience the pure joy that arises from doing service. I recall one event where we assisted an animal shelter in a fundraiser. We had no idea how long the event went until, but that did not matter because we were together working the event for a good cause. Although the attendees were there for the material prizes from electronics to vacation vouchers, our prize was the smiles on the faces of the employees and just being with one another.

Kaela M.reflects: "On (a) Saturday we went on a "46 climbs" hike, and we decided to hike The Stairway to Heaven trail in Vernon, NJ. This was a hike for suicide prevention awareness. I got a lot more out of it than I expected. So the hike was very difficult, and once we got to the top it hit me what we were hiking for, because the view was so beautiful, and it make me realize that there is so much to live for, and helped me realize how many people out there are there for you, and how good life can be. So, it felt rewarding to be able to push ourselves on this hike, knowing how many people struggle with certain things every day, and how blessed we are to have the lives we have and give support to those who are hurting and struggling so much"

Through these acts of volunteerism and community, you truly learn the power of service. With it, you return with wisdom on life and an unbreakable bond with those you served and those you served with. To be a part of an organization founded on service is perhaps one of the most rewarding things.

It is simply amazing to experience the connections built in the acts of fellowship, no matter how simple they may be. Whether the social gatherings range from games to sharing coffee, it inspires the enjoyment of one another's company and a good time and to feel the radiation of positivity.

Kevin L. explains: "Through APO, I learned to treat people better than you found them. A compliment goes a long way and I found that out after APO. Being positive brings positivity and I hope I have become a positive aspect of APO as well as others have to me".

And so finally, it is simply amazing to see the effects that a leadership activity can do to raise morale. It has educated me, among others, as we prepare for the real world. We learn what it takes to be a leader and how to strive towards becoming one. Becoming a leader allows us to serve as a model for others in our lives. Leadership skills make us leaders all in an effort to impact our world.

It is simply amazing to experience what being a brother has to offer, but also see how I have grown as a person. I have found that a small move out of one's comfort zone allows one to rise up from whatever has been weighing them down.

Anuhea M.expresses: "APO is a great group of people. They become a second family to me . . . Honestly, I feel like I found my niche at Seton Hall in APO. I'm so proud to be a brother".

I am in a place with a family tree that I love and am inspired by. With a beautiful big whose sense of humor, wise nature, and overall being bring out the best in me. With tree members from an "aunt" to cousins who teach me so much about life and who I can laugh and talk with endlessly. A family tree characterized by love, corny jokes, laughing fits, deep talks, and enjoying each others company and so I am inspired.

I am in a place with a brotherhood of genuine individuals devoted to the principles of friendship, leadership, and service. I am in place where I am never afraid to be myself and I can always be my authentic self.

Following your passion allows you to become involved in what you love and what makes you who you are. Such a small decision allows you to meet the genuine individuals who share those passions with you. It allows you to find your family away from home and another family for life. It has provided me among others with a sense of place and has brought out the best in me. I am forever grateful.

I love where I am and I love who I share it with.