Why It's OK To Take A Gap Year

Why It's OK To Take A Gap Year

Breaking the stereotypes of taking a year off of school.

108
Why It's OK To Take A Gap Year
Soffiawardy

Over the years, society has put a stigma on gap years. A gap year is a year a student takes off in between graduating high school and starting college, which for some reason can be frowned upon by many nowadays. There are so many advantages to taking a gap year. Taking time for yourself should never be something that people see as bad.

Although I didn't have much choice in my gap year (surgery and recovery is always fun) I am absolutely so thankful for this last year and all that came with it. Here are some of the many reasons why you shouldn't be embarrassed to take a gap year.

It's a time to find yourself without being surrounded by any influences.

Typically, the summer after you graduate high school you realize that some people were only your friends because you saw them every day. Having a whole year to yourself while everyone else is off to school is very difficult and can be quite lonely, but for me it was a learning experience. I learned how to do things on my own, like eating in public by myself, making and going to appointments alone (without the help of my mom) and even shopping alone, which is surprisingly therapeutic. You learn to rely on yourself and find out who you are without being constantly surrounded by your friends and other people.

Getting a job.

Although some people don't have time for this or just want to take the year to themselves with no distractions, saving up for college is a great way to fill up your gap year! Not only do you make some money for your future schooling, you get the experience. Nowadays, even entry-level jobs need experience. It's crazy, but it's true!

Figuring out if school is really for you.

Sometimes school really isn't for everybody and there is no shame in that! If you can start your life off already and work at a job that you love and are great at, then by all means, do it! I think that if you don't need a degree for what you love to do then go for your dreams!

Deciding if what you've always wanted to major in is for you.

I have seen countless amount of people change their major over and over again throughout their time in college. Either because their interests change or their major isn't what they expected it to be, or even they just fall in love with something else! Although being undecided isn't all that bad, sometimes it can waste a lot of time and money that some people just don't have. Taking a gap year and doing research like shadowing, visiting different schools and looking at different careers can really help once you're ready to get back to school. You can finally just focus on what you want to do with your future and pick the classes that are perfect for your major.

Growing as a person.

I have heard countless of times that I have matured over this year and that it was such a good idea to take a gap year! Being on your own and taking time for yourself is something that I recommend to everyone! You can sit back and figure out what you want to do in life, what is best for you, and just grow as an adult and learn more about yourself.

There is no problem with taking a gap year and do not let anyone tell you otherwise! Whether you go to school right out of high school, take a gap year, or start working, do what is best for you. As Frank Bruni said, "Where you go is not who you'll be."