Why Things Just Didn't Work Out
relationships

Things Just Didn't Work Out, But That Doesn't Mean They Never Will

Things will get better.

606

Dear heartbroken human,

I know you're hurting right now. I mean, who wouldn't be? Everything was going so right, everything felt so right, so why didn't it last? I bet you're thinking of all the little signs that you didn't notice, and definitely playing either music that reminds you of them, or music that comforts you while you lay in bed in silence.

There's a myriad of emotions running through you right now - it's okay to feel sad, angry, disappointed. You can stop checking your phone to see if they messaged you. You can wipe your face and put on your favorite movie. Treat yourself to your favorite dessert, your heart needs it.

There is one thing to always remember in the middle of heartbreak: it gets better. Sure, it feels horrible now and just hearing people tell you that makes you feel even more hopeless. It's true though. These ideas that people have about themselves as to why their relationships just never end in a fairytale-like manner, they're all untrue. It's not because you weren't good enough, it's not because you weren't attractive enough, or had issues that made you feel like you were a burden.

The answer to why things didn't work out is simple: we meet people on this 'cosmic highway' of sorts, and while some of these people stay in our lives, a lot of them don't.

A lot of them are hitchhikers, and there's nothing wrong with this. We see their thumb in the air and give them a ride for as many miles as they need, and then they're gone, just like that. It doesn't mean the ride wasn't enjoyable, and it doesn't mean that it was worthless to you at all. Yeah, maybe you used up some gas to get them where they needed to be, but that's just it- you got them where they needed to be.

People are not the same after they've met one another, and have gotten comfortable with each other. You learn the intricacies about another person, like how many pillows they have on their bed and how they prefer to cuddle. The truth is, it hurts to remember how good these things felt, and how much you'll miss them. That's okay.

We all learn from one another and grow into better people through our experiences. We teach people our special lingo and get excited when they pick it up. We teach one another to be more caring of each other's emotions. We constantly share little bits and pieces of ourselves with one another that makes us better lovers.

So maybe it didn't work out. That doesn't mean that you didn't change somebody for the better, and maybe make them a better lover for someone else. I know that stings to even consider, but consider it the truth. Consider that, maybe, somebody else was made better for you.

We learn and grow from each other, and it's a constant search of finding ourselves and finding our perfect partner. So yes, your cosmic hitchhiker has reached their destination, but that does not mean that you have reached yours.

You still have so much learning to do, and even though you're sad now, things will get better. So, indulge in your ice cream and remember that if things were meant to be, they will be. Just because you and that person aren't together now doesn't mean you won't come back to each other. Life just takes time, and we all still have growing to do.