Why Is Everything A Little Different Here?!

If you're nostalgic for travel like I am during quarantine, this is the perfect article for you.

141

The little idiosyncrasies that inevitably make you giggle like a kid again when you see them. A fix for a bit of the travel nostalgia you might have been feeling since March.

“Why Is Everything A Little Different Here?!”

Every so often, I think of the 30Rock episode where Liz Lemon, presented with a bottle of Peppy- Bismilk (a fictional Southern brand of Pepto- Bismol), yells "Why is everything a little different here!?" Watching that as an untraveled teen, I found it very amusing and a little nonsensical. But if you look hard enough when traveling pretty much anywhere out of the US, you'll spot the little "Peppy- Bismilk" idiosyncracies: product or brand names that are just a little different.

So if you're missing a time when you could travel, whether it was out of the country, out of your state, or even out one city over, settle in for a fun read (and maybe start planning your next virtual trip).

Let's start with Australia:

There's a common joke trope among Americans that everything in Australia is upside-down. And really, they're not always wrong.

Kellogg’s Rice Bubbles

snap crackle pop- kelloggs rice bubbles | Jodie Wilson | Flickr snap crackle pop- kelloggs rice bubbles | Jodie Wilson | Flickr

Who wouldn't be excited to snack on a bowl of rice bubbles? I don't know what was wrong with the word "Krispies," nor how bubbles can snap or crackle. But they certainly can pop!

Hungry Jack's

vignette.wikia.nocookie.net

If that logo looks familiar to you, you're right! That is the Burger King logo.

What gives, Australia?

Apparently, due to some trademark legalities, BK wasn't able to use their original name when expanding to Australia. So Jack Cowin, the franchise owner of Australian Burger Kings, chose the name Hungry Jack's from a list of potential names. The real Hungry Jack's logo is actually different, as this design was abandoned after Burger King left the country in the early 2000s.

Moving on to Europe and the rest of the world:

Cool American Doritos

Doritos, now in American Flavor | Reykjavik, IS | Funky Tee | Flickr Doritos, now in American Flavor | Reykjavik, IS | Funky Tee | Flickr

Yeah, you read that correctly. It turns out that your favorite Cool Ranch Doritos are called Cool American Doritos throughout Europe. This might be the last bit of pro-American sentiment found in Europe today. (Just kidding… kind of.)

Walker's (and more!)

walkers.co.uk

Lays chips are quite popular worldwide, but if you travel outside of the U.S., you'll find yourself identifying them by their logo alone. That's because the company name changes from country to country: Walker's in the UK, Chipsy in Egypt, Sabritas in Mexico, and Tapuchips in Israel.

Mars Bars and Milky Ways

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

Buckle up, because it's time to do some chocolate acrobatics when you want your favorite candy bars outside of the U.S. If you want a Milky Way, don't reach for the Milky Ways! Instead, opt for a Mars Bar, which is the closest thing you'll get to an American Milky Way while you're abroad. So what's a Milky Way everywhere else, then? Why, of course, it's a 3 Musketeers bar! Perplexed? So am I.

PFK-- Poulet Frit Kentucky

PFK | bobbsled | Flickr PFK | bobbsled | Flickr

This one makes the most sense, so you can go ahead and relax. When KFC opened up in French-speaking Quebec, they had to rename themselves in French to comply with local laws. Therefore, Kentucky Fried Chicken became Poulet Frit Kentucky. You know what they say, "c'est bien lécher les doigts!"

Here’s hoping we can all travel safely again soon.

images.unsplash.com