Why I'm Writing For The Odyssey

Why I'm Writing For The Odyssey

Writing has always been something I've enjoyed, and The Odyssey gives me a voice.
48

“And in Mrs. Lodewyck’s class, The Time Machine by Abby Gallier!” That’s me, I thought THAT’S ME!

I was in fifth grade when I won a Young Author’s award for my story. At that point I thought I knew I wanted to become a teacher when I grew up, but then I also started thinking about becoming an author. I won another award for a story I wrote in eighth grade, and I was seriously thinking of becoming a writer. As time went on, I found that it wasn’t always easy to sit down and write an award-winning story, and while writing made me happy, I only did it from time to time. This is why I am currently studying elementary education, and plan on becoming a teacher. However, I do have a dream to have one book published someday, whether it be a children’s story, a chapter book, a cook book, or a memoir about my normal, everyday, incredibly mundane life.

In high school, I took a creative writing class, and really enjoyed it. I wrote some pretty good pieces too, and was reacquainted with my love for writing. The thing is, I just need to take the time to do it. Writing for the Odyssey means I have an obligation, but it’s an obligation that I will certainly enjoy.

If you really pay attention, you can find joy in the little things that happen every day. I love my Judson community because every day I can find a reason to laugh. There are so many weird things that happen on campus each day, and every time I come home for a visit I have new stories to tell. Many of these stories make me laugh, and I feel as though they need to be shared. I realized that college is a time when you want to remember everything, because you are making memories that will last a lifetime. A few weeks ago I decided I need to write these things down. I’m a pretty good storyteller, and I write with a great sense of humor, so I plan on writing some pretty funny stuff. I also plan on writing about some real stuff. Some things that aren’t funny. I can be serious, granted it’s not as fun, but sometimes you have to be. There are things I need to say, and things I want to say, but I plan on taking it one article at a time.

I am grateful for this site is because it will give me a voice. Not everything is easy to say out loud, but anything can be said in writing. I’m not going to pour out my heart, or write my life story, or complain about the negative aspects of my life, because no one wants to read that. Instead, I’ll tell stories. I want to make people laugh, cry and smile. Some articles will be serious, and some will not. I might make a list. I may quote The Office. And I will probably talk about Christmas. A lot.

Here’s hoping my stories make you laugh, my articles make you cry, and my writing makes you smile!