Why I'm Scared For Graduation Day

Why I'm Scared For Graduation Day

The real reason why 2020 can take its time getting here.

50
Why I'm Scared For Graduation Day
ABC 13

Of course I’m scared for graduation because of the unknown after school. I’m scared for every reason that every other student is scared for graduation day. I don’t know where I’m going to end up after I leave the safe confines of Forest Grove and the educational system. In all honesty, I will probably just throw myself back into more school, but that’s not really why I’m scared for graduation day. I’m truthfully scared of the person I will become.

I’ve looked back at photos from my freshman year of high school, or even from middle school and I realize how much I changed in four years. Sometimes, I’ll even have a sort of out of body experience where I’ll suddenly be back in the mindset I was when the photo was taken. It’s hard to explain, but when that happens, I realize how much my thought process and thoughts about people around me has transformed. My entire mindset changes and I suddenly realize that I am becoming a different person, and rather quickly.

I have already changed so much within the last three months of being away from home, in a different state, studying at college. I have voted and stayed up the entire night to watch the results of one of the most mind-boggling elections and I’ve made new friends that I know I’m going to have for a lifetime. I did what I never thought imaginable and spent two and a half months away from my twin sister and only cried six times. I dyed my hair for the first time and loved it.

And I’m still going to change. I’m only three months into a four-year journey of finding myself as an adult and (hopefully) a functional person in society. I’m going to change so much more than I did in high school. There are so many more variables in my next four years to shape who I will be than there were in high school. I’m away from my parents and the people I grew up with. I already have new friends who like me, even though they haven’t known me my entire life. I have already connected with professors of different schools of thought that I never even imagined myself being interested in.

While I’m scared for who I’m going to be when I graduate, in truth, I am so excited to see how far I come when I do finally graduate in 2020. I am going to be a completely different person than I am now when I walk across the stage on graduation day, and I can’t wait to meet her.