5 Millennials Discuss Why They Chose To Attend Their Christian Universities

I set out via social media, connected with five different people, all from five different Christian universities, and interviewed them to see just why they ended up choosing their Christian university.

33
Quote Addicts

Last week, I told you all why I chose Colorado Christian University and I ended by asking the same question, but then it dawned on me; yes, it is true, I want to know why all of you guys chose CCU, but I also want to know why other millennials chose different Christian universities across the country. So I set out via social media, connected with five different people, all from five different Christian universities, and interviewed them to see just why they ended up choosing their Christian university.

Jess – Junior – Colorado Christian University – Major: Theology

Zach – Junior – Calvin College – Major: Business Marketing

Danielle – Freshman – Corban University – Major: Clinical Psychology

Peter – Junior – Whitworth University – Major: Pre-law

Luke – Senior – Taylor University – Major: Film and Media Production

1. Did you have any other schools that you were looking at?

Jess: "No"

Zach: “Yes – Indiana University”

Danielle: “Yes – George Fox and Whitworth”

Peter: “Yes – Cornell and Pepperdine”

Luke: “Yes – Biola University”

2. Why did you choose your school over your other option(s)?

Jess: “I chose CCU because I wanted a faith-based education that would further my understanding of God and the Bible and I wanted to leave my east coast roots and settle somewhere in the beautiful west.”

Zach: “Calvin was ranked in the top 50 schools in the nation, they have a great hockey team and athletic program, and they have a good Christian foundation.”

Danielle: “When I toured George Fox and Whitworth neither felt like the right fit. Corban felt like the place I could call home. It had the community feel.”

Peter: “Generous scholarships, not only for academics, but music (choir) and theater, I was drawn to their strong pre-law program, and I also appreciated the emphasis of connection between students and professors.”

Luke: “I thought Taylor was the best combination of all the things I was looking for in a school, which was a great film program, a good distance from home, and Christian base.”

3. What were you looking to get out of your school from a faith-based aspect?

Jess: “I wanted to build a foundation that was rooted in Christ and would point me in the trajectory to serve in ministry.”

Zach: “I was looking to grow in my faith and be in a community with people that share that same faith. I also wanted to be in a place where I could grow my faith alongside them.”

Danielle: “I was looking for a place where I could better equip myself to share my faith with others and guide people in their journeys toward Christ.”

Peter: “Whitworth provides an education of mind and heart and I appreciate the openness of intellectual inquiry that is uninhibited by faith.”

Luke: "I wanted a school that has a community of accountability and intimacy as far as how we could talk about our faith and struggles we had along the way. I had experienced that elsewhere in my life so I knew what it looked like; it was just a matter of finding it in the same place I could find my education."

4. Would you say you found what you were looking for at your school?

Jess: “I have found that foundation through many challenging conversations, classes, and experiences that have pushed me to think more deeply about my faith. I have been able to develop my own faith through theology classes that have made me truly question and decide where I land on specific issues.”

Zach: “I’ve grown in my faith with my community when we had Bible study on our dorm floor once a week and for our hockey team once a week. There, a lot of guys could open up about their faith and not feel stupid.”

Danielle: “Yes! With the assortment of Bible-based classes that are required, I feel more prepared.”

Peter: “I found excellent friends, a sense of community and acceptance, and rewarding academic and career opportunities.”

Luke: “I undoubtedly found what I was looking for as far as my faith goes at Taylor. Relationships on your floor at Taylor are really pushed and it sometimes feels like Greek life without the Greek life as far as the community goes. You really find your identity in where you live and the guys you live with.”

5. What is the best part about attending a Christian university?

Jess: “The ability to walk alongside people that are like-minded and their passion for serving Christ and serving one another.”

Zach: “I think the best thing is that you share a common faith with almost everyone that goes here and when people are in need, people are willing to go out of their way in order to help others.”

Danielle: “Being able to hear different views on biblical teachings and having in depth conversations about them on a regular basis.”

Peter: “Attending a Christian university provides an education enhanced with values that I consider beneficial to the world, regardless of the conviction.”

Luke: “I know that when I am receiving lessons or advice in class or from professors that it is not just from the point of view of success or getting a job, but also from a viewpoint of a believer. So everything we learn is through that lens.”

As you can see from these interviews, it is obvious that deep down, we as Christians, all crave the same general aspects. I asked these questions to five people, attending five different universities, all pursuing five very different careers, yet they all have one thing in common; they are all Christians who were looking for a faith-based education. Although each and every one had their own qualities they were looking to get out of their school, everyone was able to find them. Whether it be a great hockey program, a faith-based aspect, a good foundation, preparation for the future, or a great community, each school was able to provide for their individual desires and needs, whether it be from a Christian aspect or not.

While conducting these interviews I learned one very important thing that I hope you call can take away from this as well. It doesn't matter who you are, what school you go to, or what you are studying, in terms of attending a Christian university, what is most important is that we are able to pursue our education and faith simultaneously.