Why Iceland Fascinates Me

Why Iceland Fascinates Me

Iceland is Awesome!

21
Why Iceland Fascinates Me
Google

A week ago, I left on a journey to Reykjavik, Iceland. It was my first time going and I had no idea what to expect. When I arrived to the Keflavik airport, I noticed that a variety of things around me were different and was not how America would handle some things. Here are a list of things that I noticed were strikingly different about Iceland from America:

1. The Topography

Have you ever played “The Legend of Zelda?” If so, the topography will look just like it!! A lot of the mountains in Iceland are volcanoes; some of which are still active and haven’t gone off since the past 5-10 years. The mountains are vivid green-- not too light and not too dark. There are many crevices within the volcanoes, as to show the indents where the lava flowed and creased into the mountain.

You may think that one of the volcanoes is a certain height; but look closer and you will see that it is actually taller than you may think. Just like how the moon appears tiny to us due to the distance from us, Iceland’s volcanoes appear the same way-- it’s because we are some distance away from them. I remember seeing a few people and sheep hiking up some of the volcanoes. They looked like ants and it made me realize that the volcanoes are, in fact, taller than I thought and than they first seemed.

1. The Energy

No, I am not talking about spiritual energy, here. I am referring to the energy as in the energy that powers Iceland. In total, there are 6 geothermal plants that power all of Iceland-- only 6. That is a crazy amount compared to the nearly 8,000 power plants that fuel and power all of America.

What’s best about geothermal energy is that it is one-hundred percent natural. All of the power that fuels geothermal plants is derived from the Earth’s underground heat-- hot water, hot rock, and deeper into the Earth’s magma. It is extracted from the Earth and is transmitted into a type of fuel that leaves no traces of pollution in the air. Thus, when transformed into smoke and energy, its traces are sustainable and clean; and the Icelanders are proud of it.

One of Iceland’s geothermal plants has emissions so immense that it leaks into a giant pool containing silica and sulfur. Since the pool of these elements is so large, the runoff has nowhere to go and remains in a giant pool of bright blue water. Icelanders took the pool of runoff waste to their advantage and opened up The Blue Lagoon. Now, tourists and Icelanders can use the pool as a spa, pool, or a reservoir for skin treatment and care. It’s relaxing and a fun, touristy thing to do.

1. The Culture

I was not in Iceland for too long to speculate what its culture is like, but I can mention a few things. Icelanders love tourists and the fact that they’re good for the economy. They’re also really friendly people who dress well and love their wool and fur. Most of them have the appearance of white skin and blonde hair.

Icelanders are big on nutrition. All of their foods are healthy and most foods are imported from Europe. The foods contain no GMO’s or preservatives; so everything is extremely healthy and beneficial to the consumer. Even their bread doesn’t have as much sugar as the bread in America has. Their drinking water is really fresh but has a slight smell of water when you pour it from tap-- and you can get water from any fountain in Iceland and it will still be considered safe to consume. Just be careful not to drink too much because, if you’re like me, then you will have really bad gas for days and loose stools.

1. The City (Reykjavik)

The city of Reykjavik is really pristine and up-to-date. Even though it may be an old city, it is still well-polished and very clean. If you have ever been to Prague before, the city of Reykjavik looks just like it but somewhat smaller. Most of its buildings are white with a fresh, new paint job. Some of the buildings are brightly colored and have cute little coffee shops and cafes. Also, the city is right next to the ocean and there is a beautiful lookout point where you can see a lot of incoming and outgoing boats and mountains in the distance.

1. Equality

What I love most about Iceland is not only the awesome landscape and topography, but I love its equality rights all throughout the country! Iceland is all for supporting women’s rights and equality-- which means it believes in equal pay and equal treatment-- all Icelanders are equal! Icelanders and tourists have the right to walk on any land they want. There really isn’t private land in Iceland. It’s all open to the public. They believe “our land is your land.” Equal rights is important and I’m all for it. Knowing Iceland is in favor of it makes it all the better.

I may have only visited Iceland for about a week, but within that week, it sure did teach me a lot. It taught me that the world is bigger than I think. It showed me that all mountains have their own, unique and beautiful imprints and, if you’re lucky, getting to the top is the best of destinations! I love how Iceland is very eco friendly and has only 6 geothermal energy plants that power-up all of Iceland.

I’m in love with Iceland’s culture and its city. And finally, I absolutely love Iceland’s equality rights. I truly believe Iceland is the role-model country for the rest of the world. If all countries could take Iceland’s footsteps, I believe we will all be doing something right; going in the right direction; and make an impact for a better world and a better tomorrow!