Going from not working out at all to hitting the gym 4-5 times/week

Going From Not Working Out At All To Hitting The Gym 4-5 Days A Week

How I got myself motivated and in shape in no time at all.

9
https://pixabay.com/photos/crossfit-sports-fitness-training-534615/

I was a big runner in high school, I ran cross country and track for several years but I decided to quit my sports for my senior year to have more free time. At this point, I was still going to the gym regularly and was in fairly good shape.

When I got to college, this all changed, I stopped working out altogether for no reason at all. I had no motivation to workout and so I never got myself to the gym. I didn't really think much of it, I never felt like going so I just didn't go. Looking back over my freshmen year now, I don't know why I thought this was a good idea.

Getting home from college, it hit me how out of shape I truly was and I began to feel self conscious for summer. I'm not saying working out and self confidence are tied together but I tend to feel better about myself after getting in a good workout, everyone is different.

I immediately joined my gym when I got home and I have been going frequently ever since. I switch up my workouts often from taking a pilates class one day to taking a bootcamp class the next. i like doing classes because I'm more motivated in a group.

There are always days where I don't feel like going to the gym but once I get myself there and start the workout, it always feels good. There's nothing like the feeling of pride you get after finishing what felt like an impossible workout.

Going to the gym for me wasn't about losing weight but rather getting in shape. During my track days, I could run 6-7 miles effortlessly and I'm not quite there currently, but I am working towards that goal slowly.

It's so hard to get yourself to the gym after not working out for so long, it can feel pointless. My mentality for awhile was that I hadn't worked out for months so why start now? The truth is, there are so many reasons to start now. I find that I'm happier after working out. Exercise is proven to release stress and boost energy so it improves the rest of my day.

Everyone has different reasons and goals to hit the gym, I encourage you to start on your goals today!