We Aren't Ready For A Real Health Care Reform

Capitalism, in all it's glory, hasn't exactly bred a health care system that's viable to extend to the entire nation.

11
Jeff Stevensen

I would love to say I avoid letting the world know how I feel about politics and my stance on the major issues, but that's just not the case. I have opinions and I have no problem letting anyone know while doing my best to respect theirs. Recently, a fellow contributor wrote "Healthcare Should Not Be A Political Issue" and while I agree with some, if not most of her points, I disagree completely with her title (aka the main point).

Healthcare, while I do agree it should be a luxury we all get to revel in, should without a doubt be a political concern.

Name a country who provides coverage to all citizens that didn't do it via governmental regulation. Capitalism, in all its glory, has led to this country being undeniably greedy at its core.

We want more than others have. We want to see that someone else has less because somehow that makes us feel better about what we have. While that is all well and fine, it hasn't exactly bred a health care system that's viable to extend to the entire nation. It's allowed big pharma to get its grubby fingers into the mix and raise drug prices without us even realizing. EPIPENS.

It's allowed insurance companies to keep its patrons relatively in the dark about how payment really works. It's allowed providers, the hospitals, doctors, surgeons, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation facilities, you name it, to keep their prices so low-key that a man can't even figure out how much it will cost for his wife to give birth beforehand.

Let me direct your attention further to John Oliver on the way Dialysis works in the United States and the issues with the way this one treatment is handled presents.

We have many problems with our healthcare system in the United States. Right now the media wants us to focus on the continued efforts to repeal the ACA, which has afforded a record percentage of citizens medical coverage. While this is the most pressing concern, we need to take a minute to analyze what's wrong with the whole thing.

No, the ACA is not perfect but what healthcare system is? We cannot simply replace the existing system recklessly without understanding and making some effort to fix the fundamental problems it has presented.

So what are some of the problems we face when dealing with the current healthcare system? Consider what type of changes need to be made in order to increase it's benefit to the people, you know, the ones who pay the government salaries, contribute to the federal reserve, and the whole damn system to begin with.

1. We NEED to be able to discern for ourselves which facilities to use and who's services we wish to accept.

This means we have to know HOW MUCH THEY COST and their ranks for lack of a better term, in order to determine which fits our priorities most. It's absolutely absurd that if we know what the procedure is, who the doctor is, and other major details we still can't get a decent estimate on the bill. We can on anything else we pay for, so why not healthcare?

2. We MUST put big pharma back in its place.

The outrageous prices they charge for life-saving medication has to stop. They have over charged the American people so much so that CEOs are making hundreds of millions of dollars a year while our teachers are scraping by. Don't get me wrong, let them profit. But stop letting them ravage the economic prosperity of millions of people as well as draining the Medicare funding that could help an insurmountable number of additional people.

3. We should DEMAND that insurance and pharmaceutical companies make the prices of care transparent.

Currently those who are covered by insurance only see a final bill that only occasionally breaks down the individual fees. That bill generally includes a price than the actual payout from the insurance company after they're negotiated with the provider.

Negotiations shouldn't just be for insurance companies especially for those who don't happen to carry insurance or who simply have procedures that it doesn't cover. Everyone needs to have access to negotiating these prices and be aware of this ability.

Also, I'm just saying but why is it so much cheaper to get the same procedures in other countries than it is here? That just seems a little suspect to me but that's none of my business, right?

6. Last but not least the national budget should be reallocated to prioritize our people over our border and borders of other nations.

I'm not saying we should stop worrying about national security because now more than ever I think we have shown the world our weaknesses, however, for a country who isn't officially at war we sure do spend a lot on the military.

BUT how on earth could we possibly accomplish these things in order to form a more perfect health care system that supports the people and ensures the standard of living in the "Greatest Country on Earth" is up to par with that nickname.

Part of making America great will undoubtedly include taking care of the people who call it home. Without that, we will have failed as a nation, as a society, and as human beings. As the United States of America, we happen to have this monstrous government hanging over us that we often try to blame for our problems.

Yes, our massive centralized government is cause for concern but it's also the only way to make the changes necessary to enact a health care reform of this magnitude. Who else has the power to tell big pharma and all other actors in the system to stop stealing from the people that support its very existence? I hate to say it, but at this point, government intervention is the only way to fix our healthcare system for the better.

It's sad to think that humans have become so disconnected with one another that some are so willing to wish others less than they have. We should want to build each other up, but at every level of society, there are those higher that don't want to see that happen because it isn't nearly as profitable. This is why government regulation was required in the first place and why it has become even more so. Healthcare is a political concern now and stances on it should be considered as highly as anything else when supporting candidates.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that in order to increase efficiency within and expand our current healthcare system we need a government who is more concerned with its people, their well being and extending a higher level of economic equality with regard to reducing corruption in big business and greediness.

Will that ever be possible? It certainly seems hard to believe right now. But wouldn't it be nice if we all just decided to raise one another up to our level until we can all live a happy and healthy life? Maybe then, we could see the beauty in a prosperous society, our fellow man, and within ourselves.