A Letter To My Long Distance Best Friend

You've been by my side through thick and thin and you're still here.

11
Google

“How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

~ Winnie the Pooh

Long distance relationships aren’t easy, especially when it comes to your best friends. You think that by not being around each other every second of every day will change everything, that you’ll grow distant and have the fear that you’ll grow so distant, your friendship will diminish. What they didn’t tell you was that long distance relationships are also the best, because when you two reunite, you’re closer than ever and it’s like they never left.

To my best friend who is miles away,

I love you so much and miss you every second of every day. This year hasn’t been easy for me and I wish every day that you were here to help me along the way. Sometimes phone calls, texting and video chatting aren’t enough. I miss not being able to call you and ask you to come over when I’m having a mental breakdown, stressed about school, when a boy did something to upset me. Most of all, I miss not being able to sit in my room and just talk about the two of us.

I sometimes think that it’s too good to be true that I found someone as amazing as you. You have been by my side through thick and thin and you’re still here; I don’t know what I did to deserve you. You’ve seen me at my worst and at my best. You always know what to say in any situation and one of the things I love about you the most is that you tell the truth exactly how it is, because you know I can take it, but more importantly because you love me.

Now that you’re miles away I reflect back on the past and us more times than I thought. I remember the first day we met and that as soon as we talked, I knew that something special was going to come out of this. I reflect on all of the memories we’ve had, good and bad. We’ve laughed together and cried together, but there is nobody else that I’d rather do it with.

It’s crazy how similar we are; it’s like you’re the other half of me; you complete me. You always remind me how amazing I am, inside and out. You remind me how beautiful I am and that I have one of the biggest hearts you know. How I take care of others before myself and make sure their happiness comes before mine. You remind me that even though I’ve been hurt in the past, I will find my prince charming, how he will treat me the way I deserve. Of course you’d have the final say as to whether or not he’s a keeper. Most of all you remind me how much you love me and that you’ll never leave my side through anything.

"How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

If you’re ever feeling sad or miss me as much as I miss you, know that I’m only a phone call away. Know that I am there for you always and forever. Know that I will never judge you for you actions. I may be harsh when it comes to giving you advice, but that’s only because I love you and want what’s best for you. The one thing that I want you to know most of all is that you’ll never lose me. You have become such an important part of my life that I can’t imagine it without you. I don’t think of you as a best friend; I think of you as the sister I never had. Thank you for being you because that’s the person who I have known to grow and love and continue to until the day I die.

It’s not goodbye, it's I'll see you later.