Why I Haven't Left The Church

Why I Haven't Left The Church

The church needs you more than you need it...

28
Why I Haven't Left The Church

Like most millennials I have held my share of frustrations with the church. How it is run, the people within it, the way it often treats me. I think our generation- more than most others has chosen to find other paths, and leave christianity as a whole.

I am one who has heavily considered leaving the church, leaving my faith, and seeking hope and happiness elsewhere.

I get angry at the church seemingly complacent heart, views that tend to put God and people in a box… The church’s ability to point fingers but not love in those circumstance.

But, the absolute foundation of my life is on Christ and making his supremacy the centrality of my life.

I didn’t subscribe to the church originally- I subscribed to a relationship with a God who reached down to his creation by becoming one of us and living, dying, and rising again for us.

I chose to be apart of the church to find and belong in community with those who shared those values and beliefs.

I realized I didn’t originally hold the people in the pews with me to the standard of perfection, but I was well aware of my own inadequacies.

I wasn’t originally as bitter, cynical, or distrusting in the church.

The more I’ve thought of this the more I’ve seen my desire to leave as invalid.

As I dug more into my frustration with the church, and how organized religion operates as a whole, I came across a verse in the bible:

“Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life”

If I were to leave- where would I go?
If I truly believe that Jesus is the way, the truth, the life.

Where else would I go to find it.

So, to those who struggle with the church, or with organized religion.

I am sorry.

I am sorry for where I have been imperfect and perhaps wounded you.

I am sorry for where other imperfect people, who are apart of the church, have wounded you. Sincerely and truly.

I am sorry.

But, God is not who failed you.

He is not the one that left, hurt, abused, or neglected you.

It was people.

Flawed, messy, sinful people.

Do not put that on God.

You simply cannot.

If you believe He has the words of life, the words of truth, then press into that.

Where will you go if not into the arms of the one who holds the truth?

Press into His love and mercy.

Until you find grace and love toward others and toward yourself.

God loves you, and he is heartbroken over you hurt and bitterness toward the church.

I am heartbroken alongside you, feeling the bitterness toward the church.

But He has the words of life… follow that.

There is hope.

BE THE CHANGE.

Serve where you see the church lacking.

Love where you see none.

Give grace to those who’ve been judged.

Use your story as a tool for growth.

Make the church different by being the church- not leaving it.

Love, be gracious and kind, and devote to service.