Why I Hate The Term "Pro-Life"

Why I Hate The Term "Pro-Life"

It's not what you think it is . . .

180
The Odyssey Online

Pro-life comes with a lot of problems. The movement in itself is problematic, but that's a song for another time. But even just the term "pro-life" is an issue. By definition, pro-life is opposing the choice to have an abortion, so then shouldn't it just be called anti-choice? Pro-lifers explain that they're pro-life because they are advocating for the life of the fetus, like pro-choice is actually called "pro-death" or something.

The harsh truth is that most "pro-life" individuals aren't actually for life. No, what pro-lifers are is pro-birth, as in they want a baby to be born, but don't seem to be concerned with too many other things afterward.

For one, if you were truly "pro-life", wouldn't you be concerned with the life of the mother? If someone is too young, too poor, or not ready to be a mother, why should they have to give up their own life? Are you really pro-life if you're selective as to which lives matter?

Sister Joan Chittister further explained the distinction between pro-life and pro-birth:

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

You have to stop thinking so highly of yourself. You can't call yourself pro-life if you don't care about welfare programs, affordable health care, and education. You're not pro-life if you turn a blind eye to bigotry and prejudice. You're not pro-life if you forget about the single mothers, the mentally ill, and anyone who isn't like you.

If you don't love your black neighbor, your Muslim neighbor, your gay neighbor, and yes, your neighbor who had an abortion, you are not pro-life. Stop being a hypocrite.

You want to call yourself pro-life? Then you better prove that you care about all walks of life. If you think of yourself as a "Good Christian" then show everyone that you mean it.