you can own a gun, but you can't do these 3 things at 18
Politics

3 Things You Can't Do At 18 Even Though You Can Own A Gun

Where's the common sense?

1277
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/March_on_Washington_for_Gun_Control_040.JPG

The age minimum for owning a gun is a little tricky. In the United States, when a citizen turns 21 they are able to buy a handgun or other types of guns. However, at age 18 it is legal for citizens to own a gun. How does this happen? Well, if you're buying a gun from a legal and licensed dealer, you must be 21. But just like everything, there's always a way around the law. At 18, many states allow citizens to obtain guns from private dealers and gun shows. Although it is illegal for the 18-year-old citizen to buy this gun, it IS legal for that citizen to own the gun on their own.

I am a full proponent for increased gun control across all 50 states and U.S. territories.

Here's the problem with gun laws. An 18-year-old is allowed to have a gun. In many hunting dominant states, minors have access to guns. Well, here are 3 things that you CANNOT do at the age of 18, but you can legally own a weapon used to kill.

1. Drink alcohol

The drinking age in the U.S. is 21. This age was determined by science. Scientists gathered evidence and research that the brain is not done forming until this age. You cannot drink alcohol, but at 18, you can legally own a weapon used to kill.

2. Rent a car

At age 25, citizens are finally able to rent a car. This rule was created because car rental companies believe that anyone under this age cannot hold the responsibility of renting and driving a car. You cannot rent a car, but at 18, you can legally own a weapon used to kill.

3. Buy cigarettes/nicotine

Recently many states are changing the laws through which citizens can purchase cigarettes and other nicotine products. States like California have required that only citizens 21 and over may buy these products. The brain has not fully developed until this 21 and therefore nicotine products are illegal for citizens under this age. You can't smoke a cigarette, but at age 18, you can legally own a weapon used to kill.

Why should 18-year-olds be allowed to legally own guns, but not do any of the three things above? Change is needed, and it's needed now.