Why Hampton University Needs NU 2 U

Why Hampton University Needs NU 2 U

Please Support Black Owned Businesses

86
Why Hampton University Needs NU 2 U

Every college campus is equipped with services that are sometimes not affiliated with the school. Though not conjoined with the actual institution, such services have made their way into campus culture, becoming beloved ornaments that students can always rely on. For those of you who don't attend Hampton University, let me introduce you to NU 2 U Fashions. This small black-owned business adjacent to our HBCU (Historically Black College & University) will unfortunately close at the end of the month because of a lease decision that was out of their control. As to why this unfortunate conclusion was brought into existence is truly ambiguous.

But a great deal of students as well as myself can attest to the resourcefulness, and professionalism NU 2 U has given its patrons time after time. Being that our campus is located on a peninsula, "The Shops At Hampton Harbor" offer what we need and want as students, convenience. So does it truly make sense to close one of its flagship stores that gives multiple consumers such an advantage? That would make it inconvenient and utterly useless as the vacated laundromat and abandoned building that was once Burger King. NU 2 U is a place to go for items (various snacks/groceries, beverages, clothing, stationery products, and other advantageous wares) at an economically efficient price with a location that's even more ideal for students without a car, a ride, or even luck. Anything that you need within the context of college living is accessible from this ideal store.

Closing NU 2 U would be a disservice to the students at Hampton. We've asked for years what would HU be without NU 2 U, and to this day there's an uncertainly among us. Of course, the school will go on but think about the individuals that make up this great institution. We all have a unique narrative that collided into one as soon as we stepped foot on campus. Since then, we've basked and immersed ourselves in the mutually inherited experiences that truly make Hampton University for what it is, with NU 2 U playing an integral role. Some individual's best memories at Hampton derive from an experience resulting from a visit to NU 2 U. We do understand as students that business must be handled accordingly and certain parameters need to be met. But we also have a right as students to give our insight, especially on issues or matters surrounding us.

Ms. Regina Jones is a businesswoman and a mother figure that owns and operates NU 2 U. She understands the importance of black business and is proud to be in a location where she can serve a community that is predominantly populated by African Americans. A petition was started a few days ago and was signed by students, the community, and even some members of the university's faculty. Over 600 signatures have been recorded as of Sunday March 19. If you're a Hampton student and haven't had a chance to sign that petition, make sure to stop by the harbors soon to do so (1026 Settlers Landing Rd). The school has the ultimate say in the fate of NU 2 U, but do what you can right now to support a place that has provided what the area needs, again, convenience, great experiences, and support.

An HBCU's mission is to promote education as well as provide advancement and assistance for people of color where needed the most. Supporting a black-owned business like NU 2 U is in direct aid of our community, thus making the buying power of African Americans more valuable. Please go out there and support clutch businesses like NU 2 U.

- Slasher