Why Guam Is My End Goal

Why Guam Is My End Goal

I'm doing everything I can for Guam, so start doing what you can.

19
Why Guam Is My End Goal
Joseph Lujan

A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about Guam, as I usually do. The article gave my reasons why Guam just isn't the place where I'd like to start my life. I discussed how the University of Guam doesn't offer the best when compared to colleges that reside in any of the fifty states. I received a good amount of backlash about what I had written, and if we're going to be honest, I was totally fine with it. My articles aren't meant to cater to the feelings of everyone that cares about the topics I write about. If anything, my articles are written to inspire said feelings in people who remain apathetic about the issues Guam faces.

I write what I write to start a dialogue about what's important. Oftentimes my articles are shared around Guam, and on the off-chance that it is brought to the attention of readers in the States, then even better. As the comments and input of the Guam community came rolling in, I couldn't help but be gleeful. I don't mean that in some malevolent way where the idea of confrontation gives me a rush, because I have a chance to discredit the rushed comments of upset readers. I was gleeful because it means people are reading what I write and most importantly, they are showing that they give a damn about it. Education on Guam IS a problem and it's nice to see that people care to see what the island is going through. I'm slowly working my way towards the necessary credentials to make a difference on the island that raised me, but just knowing that people are speaking about it is more than enough for me.

But actions are louder than words. That's why I implore and fervently ask the people of Guam to start making a difference. We can talk all we want about issues, but we need to start setting things in motion. However, I'm specifically "calling out" my former peers, classmates, and friends to work hard to change what upsetting conditions Guam has. You're all more than capable, I know that in my heart and mind but you need to want it. Wading around Guam life is nice, but making waves in our community is even better. Guam is a wonderful place, which makes it unfortunate when people are not motivated to do something more.

If you told me about the deplorable conditions faced by students at UOG, then I challenge you to make a difference as well. Become a reporter for the PDN and write about it or take part in some student union that the university will listen to. It's true that you don't need to go to a college off-island to be a force to be reckoned with, which is why I don't understand why it's not already being done.

And while we're on the topic of motivation and doing things. To the seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen in high school: Guam is not your only option. You can make it to an institution in a state. You can always come back to Guam when you're finished with your education. You have to want it and believe you can get there. If you want to be a fashion designer, then start on that portfolio for fashion school. If you want to be a doctor, you BETTER be listening in all your science classes. If you want to be a Speech Language Pathologist, then shadow one of the many wonderful ladies (and I'm sure somewhere there is gentleman) I had met this summer.

Leaving Guam is one of the best things you can do for yourself. If I had stayed, I would have settled into a routine that would not have been as exciting as my life is now. I'm doing things I never thought I would do. I'm doing this, writing for the Odyssey, which I never considered. It was a spur of the moment thing that has become one of the best choices I have ever made in my life. I'm about to start training as a Desk Receptionist, that again, I didn't expect to be doing. I'm majoring in Speech Pathology & Audiology, something that wasn't originally on my list of what I wanted to do, but now something I just have to do.

I'm sure I stated this in a previous article, but being in Milwaukee has caused me to reflect deeply on who I am. I've grown an intense pride in my island. Everything that I'm doing now, is meant to help better Guam. I would never in a million years abandon Guam. I would leave Guam to expand my horizons, gain more knowledge, and spread my opinions to those not from the place I call home.

For god's sake, kids, don't let anyone tell you you can't leave Guamor that you shouldn't.You are your own person. You can get yourself where you need to be. You can get that grant, that scholarship, that student loan, like I did. You can make your life and Guam better by dedicating yourself to anything and everything that you do.

If someone were to tell me not to do something to better myself, I'd do it to better myself and just to watch them fume about it. If someone told me not to capitalize on an opportunity? I'm going to capitalize the crap out of it, not for myself, but for my end goal.

"And what might that be, Jonathan?"

My end goal was, is and always will be Guam. It's not for me in the end. It's for the people that made me who I am. It's for Mrs. Camacho, Miss Concepcion, Miss Santos, Mr. Iseke, and the faculty and staff at Notre Dame High school. It's for my cousins, Beth, Joey, Alvin, Bryan and DJ. It's for my aunts and uncles (too many to name). It's for my brothers, Shayne and JJ. It's for my grandma, my late grandpa, my mom. It's for every single person I have detested and have loved on that island. So, never, ever, ever, ever let anyone tell you not to do that would benefit you and your loved ones in the future.

When you piss people off, you know you're doing something right. Unless of course, it's something illegal or disrespectful, then you're just an ass.

Un dångkolon na si Yu'os ma'åse, Guahån.You made me, now let me take care of you.