Why Greeks Only Date Other Greeks

Why Greeks Only Date Other Greeks

806

Relationships in college nearly always fall into two extremes: non-existent or incapable of functioning without your other half. There are those who enjoy the single life and those who fear it more than anything. But, I think everyone can agree that it is always Greeks dating Greeks. Think about last time you were involved with a non-Greek, I can pretty much confirm your answer is either “Never” or “Damn, just that one time”. However, I believe it’s a series of multiple variables that have us Greeks bound together.

The simplest reason Greeks get involved with other Greeks is that we meet each other. “You are paying for your friends” is one of the most typical stereotypes of Greek life and yet it is essentially true when referring to the opposite sex. A huge portion of your dues goes to social fees where you are set up to meet people. Whether it is exchanges or pre-games, Greeks literally are unintentionally set up with groups of all different people to choose from. With these events you’re forced to go out and meet your potential new fling instead of having to go and seek it out.

Only Greeks understand other Greeks lifestyles. Only wearing clothes that have your letters on it, not leaving your brothers and sisters sides and that house pride is something only another fellow Greek can understand. Being in a house is a lifestyle. Surely, there are varying degrees of dedication to your house, but I’d say it’s safe to assume almost everyone loves their house. It is the reason guys spend hours in each other’s rooms playing video games and that us girls sit around watching Netflix re-runs all night. Greeks know that our brothers and sisters come first, and we love it.

We all have the same schedule. Tuesday night pre-games, Thursday night exchanges, and Sunday brunch hangover food: all of us Greeks do it. Being on the same schedule is under-ratedly one of the most important parts of a relationship. It is easy to make time for each other when you both go out at the same time and then meet up afterwards instead of having completely different schedules. Plus, you both get sick of going out at around the same time and have even more incentive to stay in and have a nice movie night.

You have no need for a therapist; you have a house of over 100 people to help you out. With countless people around in your house to comfort you when things go wrong in your relationship, it makes it so much easier to tolerate being with that special person. You have the ability to escape to your brothers and sisters and get everything off your chest that you need to. Then you can get out all your frustration instead of allowing it to take a toll on your relationship.

Greeks stand for good values. It isn’t that everyone doesn’t, but it’s something I notice about the Greek system. They are people who value being around other people, people who have a desire to be successful, people who care about their brothers and sisters, people who love to go out, people who love to study, basically people that are well rounded and great companions. It isn’t that you can’t find love with a non-Greek or that you never will, it is that Greeks are people just like you.