Why Going To A Concert Solo Is The Most Underrated Thing Ever

And why you should do it.

13

This past weekend, I did a crazy thing: I went to a concert by myself. One of my favorite bands was playing a show eight hours away, and it was the closest they were going to get to my hometown. After asking my friends last minute if they could go, and everyone turning me down, I decided to just go ahead and do it. I booked an Airbnb, packed a bag, and hit the road.

Now, I will admit, I was pretty nervous the day before the concert. After all, this is kind of crazy. A 16-hour roundtrip road trip, just for a concert? Staying in my first Airbnb ever? What if I get kidnapped by an axe murderer? What if I get a flat tire in the middle of Illinois? You know, the typical worries. However, it ended up being one of the best things I've ever done.

First and foremost, it was so easy to just do my own thing. I went to the merch table when I wanted to go get merch; I went to the bathroom when I needed to go to the bathroom. I didn't have to take a bunch of other people's concerns into consideration. It was so easy! And I got to enjoy the music without any distractions. Nobody was showing me something on their phone or telling me to pose for a group picture. I could just relax, dance however I wanted, and completely immerse myself in the experience.

Also, it's such an easy way to make friends. Yes, it's kind of awkward at first being there by yourself. But if you do get kind of lonely, you can just talk to the person sitting next to you! After all, they're there for the same reason you are: to listen to some great music. So you already have that in common. Most of the time, people are pretty cool at concerts and are open to making new friends.

All in all, it ended up being one of my most perfect spontaneous trips ever. My Airbnb hosts were incredible, the concert was perfect in every way, and I broke my record for the furthest I'd ever driven by myself. Instead of spending a weekend at home alone, wishing I'd had someone to go with, I spent a weekend listening to great music and seeing more of this beautiful country. 10/10 would definitely recommend.