Why Everyone Should Learn to Swim

Summer is here and we all have one thing on our minds- the beach. There is no better way to cure the heat than with a refreshing dip in the water whether it be the ocean, lake, or even your backyard pool. However, if there is one thing 4 years of lifeguarding has taught me it is that not everyone knows how to swim and here is why I think that should change.

1. Swimming is an incredible work out

Swimming is a FULL body work-out. All your muscles are activated even the most important one- your heart. Just like all cardiovascular work outs calories burn off with your hard work. Swimming is also incredibly good for toning your muscles.

There is also no need for fancy equipment or weights and a good work out can be done with just your body and water. You also do not have to only swim laps. There are all kinds of work outs from Water Aerobics to Water Zumba.

2. Creates opportunities

This skill is so important and opens a variety of opportunities for other water sports. Being invited to a friend’s lake house would not be nearly as fun if you do not feel confident in your ability to keep yourself afloat especially when tubing, kayaking, water skiing, etc.

3. Life long sport

As a lifeguard at your local YMCA or near by town beach can tell you the most common lap swimmers we see are older adults. These wise people know the benefits of swimming and because it is a low impact sport there is no need to worry about injury as one may need to for other sports. Once you learn you will never forget- it’s like riding a bike!

4.Water can be dangerous

One of the saddest things we hear on the news this time of year is of a drowning. Especially when we hear about how avoidable some of these incidents can be. If you feel that exercise aspect of swimming is not for you perhaps reconsider that it would still be a good skill to have for your safety and the safety of others. To think that you have a skill that could save someone’s life can create a lot of confidence and you can feel safer as you enjoy this fun activity.

5. It’s fun

…Or if not fun then relaxing. Enjoy your summer with a refreshing swim or calming float in your pool or the ocean!

Overall, swimming is a skill and everyone should know how to do it. I cannot stress enough how important it is to at least try to learn basic swimming skills because there are truly no cons to learning.

To anyone learning for the first time, remember to keep a positive attitude because you will only get better with practice. Though it may not always come easy think of the wise words from Dory, "Just keep swimming!"