Why Every Couple Should Get A Dog Before Having Kids

There are many valid points.

933
pexels

I don’t want to call it a trend, or even say that it is new, but more and more couples seem to be getting dogs before they have kids, and it’s honestly a great idea. My boyfriend and I both actually have a dog together and it is fantastic and makes us a stronger couple. Here is a list of reasons why you should get a dog before you have kids:

1. It teaches you how to be unselfish.

We can be so selfish sometimes, even when we get into a relationship. It is all about how we feel. When you get a dog, you put the dog before yourself and then it also mends your relationship and shows you how important it is to not be selfish about yourself.

2. It teaches you patience.

Having a dog, especially a wound up crazy puppy, can be challenging at times. They may chew your favorite shoes, shirts, cords, etc, but you still have to love them and have patience. You also need the patience to teach them right from wrong.

3. It teaches you how to put other's needs before yours.

When you have a dog, you can’t just lay in bed all day and do nothing. The dog needs to be taken out, it needs to eat, and it needs to play. You have to make sure you are taking care of the dog, which helps you put not just the dog before yourself but also others.

4. It teaches you love.

Having a dog is the most amazing thing you can ever experience. They are so sweet and so full of love and compassion. Having a dog really shows you how to love others and how important the little things in life are.

5. It helps you realize what is really important in life.

Sometimes we get caught up in the crazy thing that is life, and having a dog really helps with that. You get to play with the dog and realize the silly things they do. It makes you see that the important thing is disconnecting from life and enjoying the important things like spending time as a couple together with the dog.

6. It makes you make decisions together.

Sometimes it’s the little things like what dog food to buy, what toys to get, how many treats you give. And sometimes it’s bigger like if they need to go to the vet or decisions made once they are at the vet. This will help you one day when you have kids or have to buy a house. It helps you communicate.

7. Dogs are absolutely adorable.

This is literally just an added bonus. Dogs are literally perfect and whenever you are having a bad day or you have a fight or something like that, you can depend on the dog. If your significant other has to go on a trip, the dog keeps you company. There are so many added bonuses to having a dog.

8. It makes you more compassionate.

Loving a dog by yourself is one thing, but being dog parents is one of the most amazing things ever. It shows you how to be compassionate and so loving and caring.

9. It let’s you get closer as a couple.

By having a dog and being dog parents, it makes you closer and makes you a stronger couple. You have to come together as a couple to take care of the dog. Overall, you just become closer and better. You go through more things together and you make more decisions together.

Being dog parents is one of the best things that has happened in my life. I love being a dog mom and having my wonderful boyfriend as a dog dad. Our puppy brings so much joy to our life and really helps us be closer as a couple. If you are thinking of taking your relationship to the next level, maybe think about becoming dog parents. Plus, if you become a dog parent before you become a parent, then you are already stronger in your relationship and have experience with how to deal with things in life better.