Why Elle Woods is My Spirit Animal and Should Be Yours Too

"You got into Harvard Law?" "What. Like it's hard?"

266
tumblr.com

Honestly are you even alive if you haven't seen Legally Blonde? The movie with Reese Witherspoon in all of those crazy pink outfits? Yeah that one. Let me tell you, the character of Elle Woods is quite honestly one of the most inspiring characters for university girls everywhere.

Let me begin by saying Elle Woods was Miss Popular and had everything she could ever want....that is until her boyfriend, Warner Huntington III, dumped her to go back to his East Coast roots and Harvard Law. Obviously Elle, like any other girl would be crushed but as this is a work of fiction, in a last-ditch attempt to win her "man" back she stops all the fun, games, and fashion to get into Harvard Law. Her now ex boyfriend is surprised to see this over the top blonde at his new university and thinks it's a joke, and continues to act like a jerk towards her. This marks an important change in Elle as she cries in a bunny costume, she realizes that she has to make a name for herself, that no one is going to hand her anything and that beauty doesn't get you very far in the professional world.

At this point Elle becomes so ambitious to prove to everyone that she can be intelligent while also being extremely feminine that she kicks law school in the face.Her motivation is no longer "I want to win Warner back" but rather "let me show you what I can do, I can be girly and intelligent." And through this ambition, she finds that she has a knack for law and hones in on it to get her through to the bar exam. In addition, Warner, decides only after Elle proves herself as smart and legally savvy, to beg for her back. Elle promptly turns him down. As any self-respecting girl should do she cast him aside, and used her heartbreak to boost herself up.

Elle Wood's philosophy "look good feel good" is one that I have taken to heart, when I dress to impress I feel like I can do anything. That's how all girls should feel all the time. Not that they should have to impress a boy but rather that they can remain ambitious while also being unapologetically themselves. Essentially Elle Woods, despite being a "stereotypical blonde" shows that every girl should have self-worth and dignity and not take anyone who broke them back. An important message for all women of this day and age, who desperately crave love (whether or not it be true), so they will change themselves or settle for a toxic person, or take someone back because they think "they can't do better." In addition, she shows the importance of ambition and brains are oftentimes more important than beauty. Also a very poignant message for women as we live in a world where everything is all about superficiality and image. So as a fellow female I firmly believe if there is anyone who proves that you can have it all, it would be Elle Woods.