10 'Legally Blonde' Moments That Totally Gave Us Life

"Happy people just don't shoot their husbands."

2115
Cosmopolitan

Warner: "You got into Harvard Law?"

Elle: "What? Like it's hard?"

In 2001, a perky young Elle Woods strutted into our lives wearing Prada heels and a hot pink dress. "Legally Blonde" changed the attitude of the typical rom-com and put a fantastic new spin on it: a blonde sorority girl going to Harvard Law School.

This movie is hailed as a staple of empowerment for women, and rightfully so. As a new semester of college starts rolling in, this is a movie I love to curl up with some chocolates and watch to pump myself up for what lies ahead.

When I'm feeling stressed in the beginning, middle, or end — these are moments from the iconic movie that gives me life and confidence:

1. The Bend and Snap.

One of the most quoted parts of the movie, Elle Woods shows a salon full of ladies the most eye catching way to pick something up from the floor after they "dropped it." It turns into a full on party as the women — and some men — join her and all master the iconic "Bend and Snap."

2. Professor Stromwell.

This scene also takes place in the salon, but it's a different form of empowerment. Stromwell is a professor at Harvard who gave Elle a pretty rough time on her first day — she kicked her out of class. So from the start, it seemed like she didn't care for Elle much. Until the day Elle decides to give up on her dream of law school and go home because a male professor hit on her. She begins to say goodbye to everyone, then suddenly Stromwell turns around and says to Elle some words that everyone should live by: "If you're going to let one stupid prick ruin your life, then you're not the girl I thought you were."

3. Elle's study montage.

This is my favorite scene because it gives me so much inspiration. After Elle is humiliated at a party, she realizes she is going to show those Harvard snobs what she's made of. Then begins the montage of Elle buying books, hitting them, making new friends, and even staying in shape on her treadmill and proving that she is a force not to be reckoned with. Not to mention the song "Watch Me Shine" in the background is totally badass.

4. When she realizes she doesn't need Warner.

Warner is Elles ex-boyfriend and the main reason why she decided to go to Harvard, to impress him and win him back. Unfortunately, when she gets there Warner is engaged to another woman and they embarrass her at a party, which ensued the montage. At the party where she is dressed in a Playboy Bunny outfit with everyone staring at her, she looks at Warner and realizes she won't win him back, and frankly doesn't want to. She is not the stupid blonde he thinks she is.

5. When she helps Paulette get her dog back.

Paulette is Elle's friend from the salon, and halfway through the movie explains her nasty divorce to her equally nasty ex-husband. The worst part is that the ex-boyfriend kept Paulette's boxer, Rufus. Elle declares that they get the dog back, so they drive to the ex's beat-up mobile home and Elle tries to con the idiot to give the dog back by pretending to be a real lawyer. In a spout of confidence, Paulette looks her ex in the face and bursts: "I'm taking the dog, dumbass!" Elle and Paulette ride away with Rufus in hand.

6. Emmett's devotion to Elle.

Emmette is the student that Elle meets after her lousy first day of classes. He gives her some tips and the end up meeting again when they are chosen to assist a professor on a court case. They work together and form a hilarious yet charming friendship. During the entire movie, you see him never doubting Elle with any of her thoughts, ideas, or quirky ways. He seems to be the only one at that school who sees Elle as the bright woman she is, and that is why he is the ultimate rom-com heartthrob. We are ecstatic when we find out that they ended up together in the long run.

7. Elle's refusal to give up Brooke's alibi

Elle is asked to help one of her professors with a high-profile court case: a murder trail, where the defendant that they are representing is a fitness icon named Brooke. Elle is one of her biggest fans and becomes a close friend to her during the trial, which leads to Brooke giving Elle her alibi that will prove her innocence. Unfortunately, that alibi involves Brooke getting a liposuction, and if that gets out to the public it will ruin her career. She makes Elle promise not to give it up, but tell everyone on the case that she IS innocent. Even when the rest of the defense team mocks her into giving it up for their own benefit, Elle stands her ground for her friend. With Paulette and Brooke, Elle proves to be one of the most loyal friends out there.

8. When she shows up to court in her hot pink suit, ready to fight.

Get 'em, girl! Show them how a Delta Nu girl wins a court case.

9. When she wins the court case all by herself.

During the final scene of the court case, it's all Elle (with some encouragement from Emmett of course), and she is questioning Brooke's step-daughter. During the entire scene, people look at her and roll their eyes with her questions. Finally, Elle discovers the woman's slip: she says she washed her hair (during the murder) right after she got a perm, which according to Elle is impossible because it would "deactivate the ammonium thygocolate/" With that realization, Elle takes control and proves that the step-daughter committed the murder and not Brooke. A twist that NO ONE saw coming. And without Elle, no one would've figured it out.

10. The graduation scene

Two years after winning the case, ditching Warner, and realizing her full potential — Elle graduated from Harvard and is chosen to give a commencement speech, which is not sappy or long at all, but short sweet and empowering beyond belief. When she finishes, Hoku's song, "Perfect Day" starts playing, and we see an update on all the characters and their futures. The best is when Emmett pops up and the screen says "Emmett will propose to Elle... tonight." Our hearts explode with happiness and this whole scene can leave anyone with a full heart and strong confidence boost, "WE DID IT!"