Why Driving These Days Can Be A Death Trap

Technology, tempers and stupidity are making the roads deadly.

209

It's no secret that driving can be dangerous enough as it is. When you think about it, your car is a deadly weapon. Driving-related accidents kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people around the world each year.

In this day in age, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teens. This is not necessarily because they are inexperienced drivers, but because of distractions like cell phones. Maybe they're sending a text, on the phone with a friend, using google maps, or on the internet. Regardless of what you're doing on your phone, it is impossible to be completely focused on driving when doing both activities. What teens fail to realize is the severe consequences that come along with texting and driving. As in many cases, permanent injuries or death. 20-50 million people are injured or disabled from car accidents each year. That's a lot of people.

One out of every four car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving. With that being said, you never know if or when you could get into a car accident. Someone may be driving home from work this very minute, not knowing that they're never going to make it home. Another person could be texting and driving about to kill the entire family in the car in front of them.

I can't seem to grasp how so many people can willingly put not only their own lives in danger but other lives as well. I don't know about you, but that makes me scared to go on the road.

Each day, nearly 30 people in the United States die in drunk-driving crashes. When you're under the influence, you lack the coordination, concentration, and clear judgement needed in order to drive safely. In addition, drinking slows your response time making you much more likely to get into an accident. The worst part about that is how preventable this problem is. It's so easy to call a friend or an Uber if you're in need of a ride. There is never a good enough reason to drink and drive. Ever.

It's nearly impossible to avoid road ragers these days. These drivers like to display their aggression for everyone else around them. They exhibit angry behaviors like offensive gestures and tailing your bumper. These people like to cut you off, verbally insult you, and honk their horns. Aggressive driving is unfortunately all too common, with 66% of all traffic fatalities caused by road rage.

People are reckless. Drivers are constantly maneuvering their way through traffic, going 20-30 miles over the speed limit, and not following basic driving etiquette like using blinkers. These people are so impatient and only care about where they need to go. They have little to no regard for the safety of others and couldn't care less about the risks. For anyone who doesn't believe that driving reckless and fast is dangerous, let me just tell you, speed kills.

Before you consider answering that phone call while driving, taking your eyes off the road to text a friend, drinking a few too many drinks and turning your car engine on, or tailgating the car in front of you, think about all the damage you could do.

No matter the distraction or circumstance, it can't possibly be worth losing your life or killing someone else's.