Why I Don't Believe In Valentine's Day

Honestly, Valentine's Day one of the more stupid holidays that we celebrate.

Just like Christmas, Valentine's Day was originally a Pagan holiday that Christian's slapped their own holiday on, so that they could have the ideals without the practice.

Valentine's Day was called Lupercalia, an ancient Roman fertility ritual that took place on Feb. 15. It started with the sacrifice of a goat and a dog, and then, the Luperci, the priests that performed the sacrifice, would wear the blood of the animals sacrificed on their clothing while they had a special feast. Then, they would go around and slap women with the blood and meat of the animals sacrificed. They were okay with it, don't worry. Like I mention earlier, it was a fertility ritual.

Now, obviously this practice isn't in common place today, especially since it was outlawed in the 5th century by Pope Gelasius.

But why do we need a holiday that celebrates love? We already have a day for that in our anniversaries. People shouldn't need a dedicated day to love your significant other.

All the day really turns into is how big of a stuffed animal and box of chocolates can I buy? It just seems like a stupid tradition to empty our wallets in the name of love.

For Christ's sake, we tell children in elementary schools take part in the holiday, and suddenly, Susan is very upset because John forgot to make her a small valentines day card with a sticker of a cat in the midst of making them for his entire first-grade class.

Valentine's Day should be a day of love and respect. Not a day of unreachable expectations and unhappiness.

At the end of the day, sure, you are once again in love with your partner, but why do you need a specific day to partake in all of what Valentine's Day encompasses?

Just some thoughts from a girl who will not be single on Valentine's Day, but feels the same nonetheless.