Why Dogs Are Really Your Best Friend

Why Dogs Are Really Your Best Friend

Who ever said friends had to be human?

4
Why Dogs Are Really Your Best Friend
Kelley O'Brien

I have been a dog person forever. My dog is absolutely my best friend, and I have had the best times with her. Here are a few reasons why dogs are absolutely amazing, and why you should consider taking a pup on as your best friend.

They know just what to say, even if that means saying nothing at all.

During hard times, such as a family member passing, everyone around me fumbled with words to console. There is never a perfect thing to say to make someone feel better in that moment in time. I didn’t need all the conversations, I just needed someone there to hug me. To be able to hug someone and cry and just let everything out was more than any “I’m sorry for your loss” could have done. No one was able to do that except my dog. She knew I wasn’t okay. She instinctively knew something was off and stayed by my side till everything seemed alright. She sat by my side and cuddled me and allowed me to let everything out.

They are always up for anything.

Dogs are always full of energy and life. You feel like lying in bed all day watching movies? So is she. You feel like going for a spontaneous run? She is right by your side. Any time of day, dogs will always be up for anything, especially when friends aren’t able to.

They never judge you.

Dogs will never say the stereotypically “I told you so”. Dogs don’t know what judgement is. They will just curl up with you and love you. They don’t care about anyone else’s thinks about you, they just love you for you.

They feel remorse.

Dogs may not always be happy and giddy since they do sometimes feel remorse. Have you ever caught your dog going through the trash? Or ripping the stuffing out a stuffed animal? They see you looking at them and automatically feel terrible about it. They put the puppy dog eyes on and just stare at you until your anger melts away.

They are beyond loyal.

From the first day you pick up your puppy, they are yours and you are theirs. A bond is made, and there is no breaking up with the dog. The dog will love you and that love will be forever. Unlike human relationships, dogs don’t lose interest in you. You will forever have a lifelong partner as long as they are breathing.

They will love unconditionally.

Running around all day and you come back a few hours later than usual? Or ever run out of the house for work without saying goodbye? They will never get mad at you or hold a grudge. Never. They will always greet you just the same when you get home.

They want to be loved, just as much as you do.

Everyone has a wall they put up as protection so they don’t get hurt emotionally. Everyone is afraid to get hurt. Just by looking up at you with their puppy dog eyes, dogs remind you how to love. Dogs, just like humans, want to be loved and feel affection. They are aware of how short life is and know life is too short not to love and feel love.

They are your own personal security system.

Dogs are always protective of the ones they love. When I was younger, my parents used to leave me and my sisters in the front yard alone with just my Doberman pincher. My mother knew that my dog had that motherly instinct to protect her own. If anyone even came close to one of us, she would perk up and be posed and seem vicious. She would never bite anyone, just scare off any potential threats. Also, if there is the slightest tap on the door, everyone in the house will know. Dogs tend to bark and bark to alert the whole house that someone is at the door, even if they don’t know who. Better than any fancy security system.

They can be trained.

Unlike human companions, dogs can be trained. Dogs can be trained to walk without leashes, sit, lay down, and even hug. Yes, hug.

They are always excited to see you when you get home

Having a bad day? Not anymore. You know right when you walk in that front door your dog is waiting for you. Your dog will be standing at the top of the stairs with a smile on their face and their tail wagging. Just seeing that face melts away every uneasy feeling and replaces it with happiness.