Why It Does Not Matter If Chris Martin Is Gay

His Halftime show had a lot more to say than that.

1411

After the Super Bowl Halftime show, Chris Martin has received many mixed reviews. I have come across many articles praising him and berating him all the same. He has been referred to as the left shark from Katy Perry's Halftime show last year.

He has also been praised for the awesome show he did put on like in this BuzzFeed article.

The most recent article I came across, though, and the craziest thing I have heard people care about, though, is if Chris Martin's bright, shiny clothes (juxtaposed to Beyonce and Bruno Mar's all black chic look) was a way of Martin to come out. People have the nerve to believe the entire Halftime show of the 50th Super Bowl was just a way for Chris Martin to let everyone know he is gay.

Now, I have no problem in any way if Chris Martin is or is not gay. Honestly, I do not care too much personally. I just can not fathom why it matters so much to some people and I have many things to say about these statements:

First, Chris Martin was married to actress Gwenyth Paltrow for 12 years. She is beautiful and there is nothing to be doubted there.

Secondly, just because the stadium burst into an array of large colors and a sign that says "Believe in Love" does not mean this is a way for Chris Martin to come out. Given all the recent shootings, bombings, harassment issues, racial issues, LGBTQ issues, and so many more problems that have happened recently this is about so much more than one man being or not being gay. This was a message for love, strength, and togetherness. This was a statement made to shock, surprise, and provoke thought, not to start more bias or more rumors.

With that being said I come to my third and final point:

WHY DOES IT MATTER?

This was the 50th Super Bowl. The Halftime show was filled with so much (sadly, just no dancing sharks). It had tributes to all other halftime shows thus far, it had Beyonce, it had Bruno Mars, it had Coldplay, it had black outfits and bright colors and badass dances. It had so many messages towards love and nonviolence, and power and strength. It had women's rights messages, and messages towards peace. It was 15 minutes so jam packed with so many symbols and messages, it was so provoking, and yet, all people could think about it whether or not Chris Martin is gay? This is absolutely absurd because, given the show itself, this would be the smallest piece of this entire puzzle.

Chris Martin has always been known to wear bright colors and lots of patches and has large psychedelic backgrounds floating behind him (seen above). Frankly, I would have been more confused if Martin would have been wearing the same outfits as the special guests and dancing the same as them too.

These three singers were very different, yet very similar in their fights to work towards peace. They made a wonderful show filled with history, fight, and advocacy. While LGBTQ rights were obviously a part of what this show was fighting for, they were not the main points trying to be made. The fact of the matter is, it does not matter whether or not Chris Martin is gay. If you enjoy his music, you enjoy it, if you do not, then you do not. Talking about the rumors of with or not he is gay is counterproductive. Talking about the issues in a negative way seems to be the opposite of what they were trying to reach with the show.

The fact of the matter is: the Halftime show had a lot to say and was one of the best shows in a long time, and whether or not Chris Martin is gay has nothing to do with that.

So why does it matter?

Just listen to the music and enjoy the show.