Why I Do The Things I Do

Why I Do The Things I Do

Jesus gives me my daily bread, in Him I find my strength.
170

People ask me why I write for the Odyssey. My first answer is so I can put something on my resume but honestly, I don’t do it because of that. People ask me why I workout so much.

My honest answer is that I like to workout, but sometimes I feel like it’s a burden. People ask me why I volunteer so much even though I have a million things to do. I never seem to have an answer for that one. It seems I continually surprise people by the things I do, to the point where they feel compelled to ask me to explain myself. I decided to write this article to answer a few questions and ask a few too.

I write for the Odyssey because I like writing. With this platform, I have a voice and an opportunity to publish my thoughts for the world to view them.

I workout a lot because I like to. I wake up early on the weekends to get to the gym before anyone else. I don’t let a day go by without being active. I want to be the strongest version of myself. I want to be self-reliant. My mom always taught me, if you want something done, you must do it yourself. I never want to be unable to do that.

I keep myself busy. When I began college I was very homesick because I was so far away from my family and home. To combat it, I threw myself into work. I kept myself busy and made it a habit to always help others. The habit stuck apparently.

Why do you do the things you do? Do you go to church? Why? Is it because you grew up going to church and Sundays just wouldn’t be the same without it?

Why do you do the things you do? I have a type A personality. So, I like being productive, completing tasks, and staying on top of things. But this isn't the reason why I do the things I do. I find my purpose in life through faith in God.

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40: 28-31 New International Version NIV

My mom always said, everything you do, do it for the glory of God. The intrinsic motivation that I have stems from biblical teachings I grew up with. Maybe I’m a little weird. Maybe I workout too much and my idea of a good time is different from most others. But I do the things I do because deep down, Jesus is my motivation. He gives me my daily bread to keep going.

“Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58 New International Version NIV
Cover Image Credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/54889245@N05/5857337443/in/photolist-W7XVDw-8BLDNk-3jJuVi-chUtNG-8k1pHD-83UNZy-9VAomB-pkMxd4-3LoW5w-c1o8Rd-q2aBc2-p2a1Td-p4zgXU-af6Sga-58G6tA-53Xkig-p29q7b-af6SkZ-bXjZqW-af6S9F-dgovcL-af9Fa5-xUCww-8gt5DW-t3w9ZM-vVQGuz-7AUZTd-adAR1m-ZQcYSB-pwBPex-WTg6QR-af9EQC-af6SBD-eJ97N-af6S6D-4HdsJR-p2acYP-pNPmzp-5h2CE2-q2BcLC-rRGxco-ig8BER-mUDit-7wZ4Z1-WTgMGg-5TLmYj-aewiP-8HNRwQ-bCNfo5-8MR1Uk