Why I Can't Support The LGBT Community On Changing The American Flag Colors
Politics

Not homophobic, just a very strong pro-American.

1799
flickr

On June 26, 2015, the US Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage is a right protected by the US Constitution in all 50 states.

This day marked a historical moment in U.S. history. People of the same sex were finally granted the right to make their own decisions about who their legally bind to in marriage which in my opinion is a great thing.

I totally support the LGBT community and will continue to support people having the freedom to love whomever they want. I also don't think someone should be judged by their sexual orientation.

With this in mind, I would like to reiterate that I do not hate gays at all nor do I think they should have less rights than a straight person does. Being gay does not make anyone any less human, therefore they should be able to enjoy all of the rights and freedoms any other American gets to indulge in.

I was a little disturbed by a picture I saw on twitter that was captioned saying that the LGBT community was going to try and change the American flag to rainbow colors and I am going to explain why.

This image above makes me upset because I don't think anyone should have the right to change anything about that flag that symbolizes freedom through the sacrifice of our troops.

People have died for our flag.

People have left behind families, left behind pregnant wives.

People have missed the birth of their first child for our flag.

People have left behind family members on their last living breaths for our flag.

People have lost limbs for our flag, barely making it out alive.

People have seen their best friends die in the battle field for our flag.

Our troops have SACRIFICED more than the imaginable for our flag. When I look at our symbol of freedom, I am reminded of all of the sacrifices that have made for me, and every other American citizen. It is a beautiful message that should never be tainted with or changed. When I see the rainbow flag above, I see a different message. It complete changes the meaning our of country's flag and that sickens me.

I don't necessarily think the LBGT community meant to try and take away from the troops who have died in service or are still serving, but it does whether they know it or not. If any other community was trying to alter our flag I would have the same reaction and would be just as much against it.

Like I said before, I don't hate the LGBTQ+ community, I think they should have the same rights as the rest of us but that right does not include redefining what our country was built on. I think it is disrespectful to our military troops and their families to have even started this petition to change the American Flag to rainbow colors and someone needs to stick up for them and say it.

Our flag inspired some of the greatest moments in history. After a British bombardment, Francis Scott Key was so inspired by the sight of the American flag still flying over Baltimore's Fort McHenry that he wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner" on September 14, 1814. It officially became our national anthem in 1931.

In 1963, Barry Bishop placed the American flag on top of Mount Everest.

In July 1969, the American flag was flown in space when Neil Armstrong placed it on the moon.

The American Flag is such a sacred piece of our history and is perfect just the way it is. No person of any power should ever have the right to change those red & white stripes which shaped our nation.