Why Celebrity Activism Is So Important

Why Celebrity Activism Is So Important

Celerities are using their fame to make a difference.

896
Why Celebrity Activism Is So Important
Sophia Bush Instagram

We live in a world where we can tweet at our favorite celebrity and possibly get a tweet back. No doubt has social media changed the game when it comes to interacting with celebrities, but it has also changed the game whine comes to having a platform to speak your mind. Celebrities have noticed the power of their platform too, and are making a difference with their voice both online and IRL.

One of my favorite celebrity activists is Sophia Bush. She constantly promotes women empowerment, civic engagement, LGBTQ rights, and multiple other human rights campaigns on her social media. She has been recognized multiple times for her philanthropic efforts, but most importantly, she has made a difference and she has become a celebrity role model fro millions of women, including myself. The list of celebrity activists is a long one and includes Susan Sarandon, Shailene Woodley, Rowan Blanchard, Rosario Dawson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Watson, Alicia Keys, Jesse Williams and hundreds more.

As another example, there is Colin Kaepernick. Many will disagree with how he communicated his message by kneeling during the National Anthem, but it definitely started a conversation in the world and even began a movement. In the United States, freedom of speech is something that was fought for and something we pride ourselves on. Kaepernick is exercising this right, knowing he is in the public eye and can make a difference. His actions have caused a ripple effect as more and more football players and other athletes have followed his lead by silently protesting as well. That is an example of celebrity activism doing necessary work.

Fame and social media can leave a bad taste in people's mouths. However, when celebrities use their voice and platform to make a change, it can be an awesome thing.