Why Building A Bigger Wall Isn't The Answer
Politics

I'm looking at you, Mr. Trump.

322
Flickr

With the upcoming presidential election in just a few short months, important yet controversial issues have surfaced through debates and advertisements. One of the most frequent and contested seems to be the idea of illegal immigration and the border wall between the United States and Mexico. And one of the most frequent ideas proposed by one of our lovely candidates is to build a larger, taller, stronger wall between the two nations.

I’m telling you, that is not the answer.

Last March, I was fortunate enough to volunteer for a week in the gorgeous city of Tijuana, Mexico.

Now, I know what you’re thinking. Tijuana? That city is dangerous, located near the border, and laced with corruption. That’s what I was told too. My family thought I was crazy for going. I accepted my invitation regardless.

And while corruption may be the atmosphere for some small areas, I saw a city alive with culture and celebration. I saw a city whose residents were proud to be a part of their nation. I saw citizens put in hours of backbreaking work by my side so that they could have a home for themselves and their families.

I also saw the border wall separating our nations.

It was instantly heartbreaking walking up to the cold bars and seeing our country through the thin slits of light. The United States of America looked almost less majestic, seeing only the empty, sandy land separating our nations. However, the Mexican people had a different idea for this area in mind. The wall is actually painted with vibrant murals, quotes, and even family member names who have successfully crossed the border. People walk along the sandy shore, eat food at a nearby restaurant, or simply sit and enjoy the sunshine. This environment was not what I expected.

However, the hard truth begin to set in when my group realized it was visitation day. We saw families approach the wall, hand in hand, to greet their beloved on the other side. They would talk for a bit, tears were shed, and then they were ripped apart once again, as if the entire encounter had never happened.

After seeing this, there was not a doubt in my mind that the wall is not the answer.

And I wish I knew what the perfect answer was. But after seeing the beauty of Tijuana, the hospitality of the residents, and the underlying pain that they each suffer every single day, I know that wall is not the solution.

So, I’m sorry Mr. Trump, but I beg to differ with your idea.