Why Being Single In College Is Good For You

Being single gives you more opportunities to grow into the person you're supposed to be.

9
Huffington Post

Being single, in general, has a lot of ups and downs. You can focus on the negative light and think of many different reasons as to why you are single. You can think it's because of how you look, because of your sassy attitude and how people can't handle you, because of the way you dress, or because you never talk to anyone. Or you can focus on the positive things and work on the dislikes you have in yourself, You can work on yourself by having confidence in how you look, accepting your sassy attitude, understanding that you have no one to impress when you're in public besides yourself so you can dress how you want or getting out in the world and getting to know people. Being single has a lot of ups and downs in general, but in college, it has more perks than one would think.

When you're in college, supposedly the best years of your life, there's no harm in being single and experiencing it in every way that would benefit you and only you. You get the opportunity to get to know yourself better so you can mature into a more positive you. You get the opportunity to understand what self-motivation is; if you don't like something or you want something changed, then you get to change it by yourself and allow yourself to grow. Being single in college means a lot of different things for people. It means you can date around and figure out exactly what you want in a significant other. It means you can stay out late and not worry about telling someone what you're doing and who you're with. It means you don't have to experience the heartache when you and your boyfriend/girlfriend would fight or have an argument. It means you don't have to constantly worry about someone because you care so much about them. It simply means you get to focus solely on yourself.

Watching your friends or family go through relationships and have to struggle to make it work or watching your best friend go through a bad break up is extremely tough to watch, and you can't even imagine what it would be like to experience right now. Right now, you have organizations you're in, you have a full workload of classes, you possibly have a job, you're maybe a part of Greek life, you're attempting to keep up a social life and you're trying to stay healthy. You have a lot on your plate, and you're becoming more independent; you're simply trying to figure out who you are and you're realizing your own beliefs and morals apart from the people who raised you. You don't typically have time to do all of this and help someone else figure themselves out as well. Stress levels are a key factor to being happy, and sometimes being in a relationship can cause a lot of stress because you are focusing on too much at one time and focusing less on yourself and your well-being.

Being single in college is not something that is better than being in a relationship; being in a relationship in college allows you both to grow together and learn from one another. Neither being in a relationship or being single is better than the other, but in my opinion, being single gives you more opportunities to grow into the person you're supposed to be.

Just because you're single now doesn't mean you'll want to be single forever; you're just focusing on yourself right now, and that's okay.