6 Things That Prove Being From Northwest Iowa Is The Best

19
Presley Cranston

Coming from a small town in Northwest Iowa to Iowa State this past year, I have grown to learn a few things. One of the main things I have learned, although I may be a little biased, coming from Northwest Iowa is the best.

This is a feeling that no one else can really describe. It’s almost like we are one big family. While all of us attend a massive school of about 37,000 students, we have somehow swarmed towards each other as the years have gone on. Yes, we may have other friends at Iowa State, but there is nothing like being with the people you have “grown up with”.

We literally grew up half an hour from some of our closest friends, and we didn’t even realize it.

When you first start at Iowa State, it is very overwhelming. Walking into your first class is almost terrifying, but when you walk in and see a familiar face you instantly get a sense of relief. You realize that they are from a couple towns over from you and you ask to grab lunch. A couple weeks later, you are doing everything together and question why you hadn’t met them sooner considering you lived so close to each other growing up.

Every one of us were probably high school rivals and hated each other at some point.

The day we got to college, everyone soon realized that everything that we worried about, cried about or stressed about didn’t matter AT ALL. Looking back now, we realized how silly it was that we held grudges over a certain game, match or that one boy you thought you would still be with (LOL). High school was all fun and games. We lived for the rivalries between schools and did everything we could to beat them. It’s crazy to think that once we met each other in college, many of us ignored the fact that any of it happened. We were amazed that the people we once hated on the court were actually just like me and you. You grow fond of the fact that you were able to meet these people once again and actually get to know them for who they really are, normal kids just like us.

Tailgating

Tailgating for football games is a highlight of the college school year for every student. If it’s not, then you are doing college wrong. If you head on over to student lots before the football game on Saturday morning looking for your friends, you will find a huge crowd of people. This crowd will more than likely be a vast majority of Northwest Iowa people.

Even when you go home, you still see them.

Something that we are lucky to have while going to Iowa State is going home and being able to see all of our friends from Ames. It’s fun to be on break, and drive somewhere to get together or casually run into your friends from school because it feels like you never left. You all have a great time together no matter where you are, and it gives you a sense that you never left Ames or even left home.

They understand where you came from.

Even though you just met some of the people from Northwest Iowa, we all understand where we came from. We all have an idea of where we all live, how we grew up or how we feel about our hometowns. It gives all of us a sense of belonging that many people at Iowa State don’t get. We truly get the best of both worlds at college.

Home away from home.

Becoming friends with people from your area is something that you didn’t really imagine when you first came to college. When I thought of going to college, I wanted to branch out and find my own place in this school. Some people do and have a wonderful college experience. I went to a college my freshman year somewhere else, and loved it. But there was always something missing. I could never pinpoint it, but I always had the feeling. Now, as I have grown to love the town of Ames, Iowa and this school, I realize that it was the sense of “home away from home” that I was missing. I don’t think that I am the only one who feels this way. I guarantee that you can ask anyone from Northwest Iowa, and that is exactly why they chose Iowa State and that is why they stayed.

It’s so much better going to a school where you have “hometown” friends. It gives you a feeling of home that makes you never want to leave. I am thankful that I get to experience this feeling. This is something that people from Iowa, or small communities get to experience. It’s a sense of belonging that happens everywhere you go with people from Northwest Iowa.

Coming to a school that is close to home, where people you know attend, yet has 37,000 students is the best of both worlds.

I can be involved in many things on campus and have my own life, yet I always have the support system from Northwest Iowa students. It’s a win-win. People from big cities or other states may get this sense of belonging by joining clubs on campus. Through these experiences they find their own “home away from home” and find their place at Iowa State.

People like me and others from my area back home get both. How lucky are we???