Why Being A B*tch Isn’t A Bad Thing

Why Being A B*tch Isn’t A Bad Thing

15
Why Being A B*tch Isn’t A Bad Thing

At the first party back with my friends, one of my guys friends called me a “b*tch,” expecting that I would retort or yell back at him for being such a jerk. But I simply smirked and replied, “Thanks. I know.” 

For a long time, being called a "b*tch" was a huge insult. If you were called one as a man, it meant you were weak or passive and if you were called one as a woman, it meant you were not fragile and agreeable like the name-caller hoped. The kind of behavior that would warrant such hurtful name-calling for a woman usually consisted of speaking up about something she disagreed with or refusing to do something that someone asked her to do. It has become so commonplace for both men and women to reference a woman as a “b*tch”, that we hardly notice the meaning behind it. It has become just a noun used to hurt others.

But what if being a b*tch wasn’t such a bad thing? What if being strong and not taking any sh*t from anybody was seen as a positive thing? I think that often times we put such a negative spin on it that we don’t realize the power that comes with being a bitch. If women, in particular, reclaim the term "b*tch" to stand for something of real empowerment, girls would grow up knowing that it’s okay to speak up or do what you want because you deserve that option.

There have been some great b*tches in history. Beyoncé is probably the best example. She says what she wants, wears what she wants and doesn’t let anything get in her way. The same can be said for Helen Keller. She got a college degree, despite the fact that she was deaf and blind, and basically showed the entire world that she will exceed their expectations. These women not only refused to accept a first offer, but showed that women are a force to be reckoned with. 

I’m not suggesting that you go around acting like you own the place, or refusing to do anything you’re told to do, because that’s not the point of accepting your role as a b*tch. It’s time to realize that your voice deserves to be heard and if people refuse to listen, then you move on. There is no reason to stand idle while other people are getting what they want. It’s your turn to get first place, and going to (almost) any means necessary to do so is something that should be celebrated, not insulted. 

Next time you get called a b*tch for doing what you want with no regrets, say thank you. That person is doing you a favor. They are telling you, “You aren’t passive and you’re not doing what I want you to do.” And that’s a great thing. You’re on your way to being a stronger, happier person and providing generations to come with a woman figure to emulate.