Why Being An Aunt Is The Most Rewarding Opportunity

To them, you are the sun and even on your darkest days, you never stop shining.

3838
Photo by Sai De Silva on Unsplash

Babies are weird. They scream and cry and sleep almost 100 percent of the time. Their minuscule little bodies only seem to be able to have the capacity to do things that drive most young adults crazy. I always loved being around kids and always had the opportunity to be around many. I am one of six children and have a huge family, so someone was always bringing a baby to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, but I never felt an inexplicable connection with those kids. You know, that connection moms write novels about, that love that consumes you.

I never felt that love until I was an aunt.

When I think of the phrase "true love," the first thing I think about are my siblings. My parents have blessed me with the most amazing, beautiful, crazy and supportive brothers and sisters in the entire universe (yes I will argue anyone on that statement) and I would do anything and everything in my willpower for each and every one of them. It never once crossed my mind that I would ever love anyone more than my siblings. They've been there since I was one of those annoying little babies that cried and whined 24/7. When my siblings started to have kids, I saw colors I never thought existed. This overwhelming and breathtaking feeling spread throughout my body, and little did I know that this was the beginning of the most important privilege I would ever hold in my life.

Becoming an aunt has been the greatest gift I have ever received and it's almost even impossible for me to put the feelings I have for these kids in words. These tiny little creatures consume your soul entirely the moment you lay eyes on them, even when they are so small they look like little aliens. I have two nephews and a precious little niece on the way and quite honestly, they inspire me. A 10-year-old, a 13-month-old and a baby that isn't even born yet inspire me. Now, before you think I'm a crazy obsessive aunt, hear me out.

My nephews and niece taught me what it's like to be in love. Not the boy who broke my heart when I was 15, but these kids. The most rewarding feeling comes when you're having the worst day in the world. You failed your math test you've been studying for for weeks and your car blew a flat in the middle of the highway, but the moment you walk in the room your nephew has this huge, toothless grin on his face or he jokes around and tells you how silly you look but you know he's just trying to see you smile. The role you play in these kids' lives is huge and most of us overlook it all too often. To them, you are the sun and even on your darkest days, you never stop shining.

At the rate I'm going with choice of men, I'm never going to have kids of my own. And honestly, that's 100 percent OK. My niece and nephews are my taste of heaven. They're all the fun with no full, every day commitment. I never have to change a dirty diaper cause that's what mommy and daddy are for! They're always down to eat ice cream, loaded with sprinkles of course, and they don't judge you for it. You have the opportunity to spoil their little butts off with cute "my aunt rocks" onesies and "I love my aunt" bibs. They'll undoubtedly embarrass them once they see their baby pictures, but it's totally worth it -- trust me.

Your weird personality? Yeah, they don't judge you for that either. The great thing about kids is that they are just as weird as you and they embrace it. Watching cartoons all hours of the night, acting out "house" with them, and dancing throughout the living room are just a few of the questionable things your nieces and nephews will never think twice about.

Being an aunt is so much more than it seems looking from the outside in. Being an aunt has changed my life in so many ways, all for the better. Lastly, these kids have brought me closer to my siblings. I'm not entirely sure how it worked itself out, but once my nephews were born, my siblings and I built an even stronger bond than we had before which has made me all the more grateful.

My niece and nephews are my best friends and have brought the most profound joy into my life that I never knew was missing.