Why Are Lapel Pins Becoming So Popular?

Why Are Lapel Pins Becoming So Popular?

An o-PIN-ion piece.

1357
The Dainty Squid

There a lot of interesting things that people are starting to collect in 2016. I've seen people collect cereal boxes, cassette tapes, beer bottles, and more. However, one thing that I as well as MANY other people have started collecting are lapel pins. Now, why on earth would someone want to collect small pieces of metal with epoxy on them? Well, because for one they're awesome, wearing pins allows you to express yourself without saying a thing. They're also collectible art pieces, some people, like myself, rarely wear their pins out and instead display them via a cork board on their wall.

Pin collecting is nothing new, it's been around for decades, however, in the past 2 years or so a number of custom pin makers have popped up online and made a name for themselves, artists like Butch-O-Vision, Creepy Company, bblloowwnn, MethSyndicate and more. They've made their impact on the pin market by providing pins that cater to people like me, those who love horror movies and nostalgia, I mean do I NEED a Ghostbusters Ecto Cooler pin? No, not really, but here's the thing:

1. These pins remind me of my childhood and simpler times. Yes, I watched horror films growing up, since I was about 5 or 6, and these pins help me remember the first time I ever saw Halloween or the first time I was old enough to rent my own tape from Blockbuster, or even the old cartoons I used to watch as a kid, like Angry Beavers or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These pins bring me happiness and joy when I need it the most and all I have to do is look at them.

2. These pins are one of a kind works of art. Someone took the time to draw up an original design, color it, find a pin supplier to make it and choose the right colors for it just so they can sell it while barely breaking even. Most artists do this out of pure enjoyment which is something I can really stand behind, and not only that but some of their artwork is absolutely amazing.

It's really awesome to see a surge in popularity in this art format, as it really has no limits. My hope for this article is that you'll go online and check out some of the artists I've mentioned and their work, and hopefully, you'll purchase one or two pins from them and begin your new obsession