Why I Am A Satanist And You Might Be Too

Defending women's rights, stopping corporal punishment, and helping others better understand mental illnesses doesn't sound so bad, does it?

691
Gustave Doré

Sort of. Just stick with me until the end and you'll understand.

Background

Let me explain some background first. I had never even heard of Satanism until a couple years ago, and I only became interested in a particular organization that espouses Satanism called The Satanic Temple after they challenged the erection of a nativity scene on the lawn of Michigan's Capitol by erecting their own "Snaketivity" display. From that point on, I've been following them and their various activist events.

That's how I came to know a bit about satanism, however, the Satanic Temple is a little different from other forms of Satanism. Upon doing some research I discovered that Satanism has a very rich history, much of which didn't really start until the last one hundred years or so. I say 'really' because in the past many people were falsely accused of worshiping Satan and were put to death (*cough cough* Salem Witch Trials *cough cough*). So the the first records of Satanists are a bit obscured by false accusations. Of course, a genuinely belief in Satan shouldn't be a death sentence, as I hope you all know.

Anyway, most large satanic groups today are relatively new and have new ideologies, some of which even claim to be completely independent of Abrahamic Religions. There are two major categories of Satanists: Theistic and Non-Theistic. The difference being that the theistic Satanists actually believe in a personal Satan (much like a personal god that answers prayers and such) while atheistic Satanists do not believe that Satan exists at all.

The Satanic Temple is atheistic and even further disavows any belief in the supernatural (as you may remember from my last article, atheists can believe in the supernatural - just not a god). This does not, however, revoke their status of a religion.

Even though both groups have differing opinions on whether Satan actually exists, they tend to have similar values. Generally, Satan is a symbol of resistance to tyranny, of individuality/self-development, of a constant search for knowledge, and of enjoying the splendors of Earth now instead of waiting until the after-life. There are many interesting details about Satanism that are fun to learn if you are a nerd like me, but I'll exclude them from this article for the sake of brevity.

These values bring us right back to why I follow the Satanic Temple. I want to let you know right now that I am in no way a spokesperson for the Satanic Temple, I am simply relating to you what I understand about the organization and what I like about it.

What the Satanic Temple does

The Satanic Temple is very interested in defending women's rights, promoting secularism (in unabashedly public ways), stopping corporal punishment (aka: hitting as a form of punishment which is abhorrently used widely - especially on children), promoting marriage-equality (and various other LGBT+ issues), and helping others to better understand mental illnesses and helping stop abuse by psychiatrists and other caretakers.

When I understood what the Satanic Temple was doing and how they were doing it, I was on board. I am especially enthusiastic about their approach to promoting secularism. Often times, the Satanic Temple is reactionary. The instance I mentioned above with the erection of a snaketivity scene is a reaction to the application to erect a nativity scene. They usually react to things like nativity scenes and ten commandment monuments that people want to place on government grounds.

People usually see these reactions as anti-religious or attacking religion, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The First Amendment of the Constitution states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The part that mentions religion is known as the Free Exercise Clause. That clause, almost entirely taken alone, is the United States' declaration to be secular (to separate church and state). Many other documents also declare the United States as secular. One document in particular—the Treaty of Tripoli—even explicitly mentions that the United States is not a Christian nation, which is found in Article 11 if you were curious:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen—and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

So the Satanic Temple reacts almost as a test. They apply to have something of their religion placed in the places where nativity scenes or ten commandment monuments are being placed. If they are approved all is well and the government is upholding its promise to not favor any one religion - the Satanic Temple is happy. If they are denied, then trouble brews and a lawsuit is at hand.

Although it seems as if they would rather not have any religious symbols on government property, it would seem as if they are more than happy to see the First Amendment being put to use. Of course, I, like them, don't care if people have nativity scenes, hold prayers, erect ten commandment posters, own a big butter Jesus, or whatever on their own private property—it is the government property that I am concerned about.

So the local chapters of the Satanic Temple do many things like go to city council meetings and give an opening prayer, hold ceremonies at the capitol of states, erect statues, pass out Satanic coloring books in schools, and even host a Satanic after-school program. All of which are things that Christian folks are able to do without question (which reminds me to write an article on Christian Privilege someday).

They also help secure women's rights. There are many laws in place that serve as unnecessary roadblocks to getting an abortion. The Satanic Temple is a religion that is actively fighting against these roadblocks in various ways. For example, Mary Doe is asking for a religious exemption from Missouri's mandatory 72 hour wait to get an abortion and to have to be presented with anti-abortion material. She is claiming religious exemption due to her deeply-held religious beliefs as a satanist through the Satanic Temple and is using the language of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), to justify her exemption - much like Hobby Lobby was allowed to do. You can read a full brief of the lawsuit here. It is still awaiting a decision as a federal lawsuit.

Of course I could go on and on, but you need to get busy researching the Satanic Temple, Satanism, and various other topics that were listed in this article. Also, if you have all the time in the world (who doesn't?) then I encourage you to look up the character Satan. He may not be as cut and dry as you thought. Some of the most rich material about Satan comes from books that weren't included in the Bible such as the Life of Adam and Eve, and our caricature of him is mainly born from other works of fiction like Paradise Lost by Milton, Dante's Inferno, and Revolt of the Angels by Anatole France. The podcast "The Human Bible" also goes to great lengths to unravel who Satan is in its 15th episode.

Why I'm a Satanist and You Might be too

So with all of that, let me finally explain what I mean. I consider myself to be part of the atheistic Satanists, specifically as it applies to the religion of the Satanic Temple. I do not worship Satan or anything like that. However, I do have deeply held values and the Satanic Temple upholds them well. For that, they have my support. If you find that the Satanic Temple mirrors your values, then you might consider labeling yourself a Satanist too. I always advocate for activism and involvement in our society and politics - it's what makes an excellent citizen. So, please find a group that matches your values or make one yourself like I did and get involved. You don't have to go as far as identifying with a satanic group, but get out there and do something meaningful and constructive!

As always, stay skeptical my friends.