Why I Am A Proud Hufflepuff

Why I Am A Proud Hufflepuff

At first, I felt sad and gypped but then I realized how great my house was and how proud I was to be a Hufflepuff.

550
Her Campus

“You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, these patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil,” -Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.

In the first book, we learn of the four house that students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry belong to thanks to the Sorting Hat. Harry, Ron and Hermione listen to sorting hat’s song and hope with all their might that they make it into a great house. We know that Gryffindor is home to the brave, Ravenclaw to the intelligent, Slytherin to the cunning and Hufflepuff to the loyal. Each house has a clear identify of what a student would be but for some reason, everyone sees Hufflepuff as being the reject house or the house where students who didn’t fit in anywhere else are put. It’s time for that stigma to stop.

Hufflepuffs even in the book were described as “dimwitted” (Hagrid) and not quite the brightest but you could always count on them. They weren’t really a popular house and if you noticed, Harry never visited the Hufflepuff common room which is said to be described by J.K. Rowling as involving bright colors. That wasn't an attack against Hufflepuffs but he (according to J.K. Rowling) just never had a need to go. But why do those who fall into Hufflepuff feel as if they have been gypped? When I signed up for Pottermore I was sorted into Hufflepuff and at first, I was wondering if I could somehow redo my sorting and be sorted into another house. I felt embarrassed and sad to not belong to either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor since, I personally, didn’t feel like I identified with Slytherin. I even debated making a new account so I could be sorted into a different house.

Initially, as a Hufflepuff, I just felt wronged and out of place but then I decided to do some research into my house and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. Newt Scamander (as well as Eddie Redmayne who plays him) are Hufflepuffs along with Cedric Diggory (may he rest in peace), Nymphadora Tonks and surprisingly Dwayne Johnson. It was Newt that made me feel proud to belong to such a great house. After seeing the movie Fantastic Beasts and seeing what a loving and loyal character Newt was, I was so happy to realize that I belong to the same house as he. I love to help people, and am fiercely loyal to those who I call my friends, even to strangers honestly and it made me realize that I am and should be proud to call myself a Hufflepuff. I also think that Hufflepuffs are very intelligent and see the world from a different point of view. Often times, I am told that my solutions to problems are so unique yet brilliant and I feel like that is a trait unique to Hufflepuffs. We see the world differently but in the most amazing way.

Even more surprising J.K. Rowling has said that, “This may surprise people, but it is the truth…In many, many ways, Hufflepuff is my favorite house”. That I found most amazing of all. In the books, Hufflepuffs at Hogwarts aren’t touched on too much yet that is J.K. Rowling’s favorite house and to belong to that house is such an honor.

If you have been sorted into Hufflepuff, please do not be sad. Be happy! Be proud of who you are and what you represent. Be proud to stand amongst other great Hufflepuffs, both past and present and together we can end this stigma of Hufflepuffs not fitting in and being the extras of the wizarding world.