Why I Am Crazy About Coasters

Why I Am Crazy About Coasters

Because who doesn't like being launched like a rocket at 120 miles per hour...

12
Flickr

I have people always asking me: "James, why do you love roller coasters so much?" And when this question gets asked, I really get confused and ask back, "Why wouldn't I love them?"

Those giant monoliths or metal or wood are my escape. For however long the ride may be, I get to be free. Riding a roller coaster is such a stress reliever. Being able to scream at the top of your lungs and not get yelled at about doing so is such a great way to release stress. When I was doing an internship down in Disney World, I would sometimes get really mad at my roommates. So instead of freaking out at them, I would head over to the ride I worked at (Rock n Roller Coaster) and ride it a bunch of times until I felt better.

Another reason I love them is because, to me, it feels like I am flying! Coasters are really the only time where you can feeling like flying. I live about two hours away from Hershey, PA, and Hersheypark. There is this coaster named "Skyrush" Which is my favorite roller coaster at that park. That coaster makes me feel like i'm flying, with the amount of airtime that it gives me. I love being able to look above and below me and not see any track. I sometimes just spread my arms out and fly like a bird.

The adrenaline rush on a roller coaster is like no other. That moment of intense fear when you get to the top of the lift hill and you are just about to drop 200 some feet straight down. Its something that never gets old. Or waiting on the launch track waiting to be shot off like a rocket at 120 miles per hour. That moment of "what the hell am I thinking" is something I love.

There is really a challenge in riding the most intense roller coaster in a park. I remember my first trip to cedar point and getting on "Top Thrill Dragster" for the first time and almost peeing my pants because I was so nervous to be shot off at 120 mph and going straight up 420 feet and then coming straight back down again. The hill was so intimidating. So even before we launched, the scream was coming up my throat and right when that light turned green, I let out the loudest scream. 17 seconds later, the ride was over and I had no voice left. I lost my voice in that 17 second ride.

But those 17 seconds were the best I have ever experienced. And, much to the dismay to my parents, I was shaking uncontrollably but said "I want to go again!"

Roller Coasters will always be part of my life. I will be that 70-year-old man riding a coaster. The amount of freedom and happiness they give me is something that really can't be put into words. Just screams!