Why All Dancers Should Go To A Summer Dance Intensive

Because you love to dance!

257
Forge Summer Dance Intensive

I've recently returned from my second year of Forge Summer Dance Intensive housed at Slippery Rock University, and I'm not exaggerating when I say this intensive is life changing. This two week summer dance intensive has forged me in many ways (no pun intended.) I left Forge with improved technique, more knowledge about the dance world, and more inspiration to follow my dreams. These are some of the many reasons why all dancers should attend a summer dance intensive.

1. You'll meet and befriend more dancers.

You'll meet dancers from far and wide who you'll dance with, laugh with, and share unforgettable experiences and memories with. You'll grow closer as you take classes together from 8:30 am to 8:00 pm, eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, and live in a residence hall together. I've met one of my best friends my first year at Forge, so you never know who you'll meet and how important they'll be to you when you attend a summer dance intensive.

2. You'll learn from incredible faculty.

When you go to a summer dance intensive, you'll take class and learn repertory from guest faculty that you might not get to meet otherwise. Their classes will be intense because they want to push you to become the best dancer you can be. They'll answer your questions and tell you stories about their careers, and you'll be inspired by their passion and dedication to dance. I cannot even begin to describe how much the guest faculty I've learned from inspired me, and I'll never forget them and the lessons they taught me.

3. You'll learn more about yourself.

You'll never know if you love hip hop or if you have a passion for Graham Technique until you try it. Summer dance intensives give you the opportunity to learn new techniques, and consequently learn more about yourself as a dancer. You might discover a passion for a technique that you want to pursue further, but you'll never know until you take your first class.

4. You'll learn what it's like to dance in college.

Because Forge takes place in Slippery Rock University, dancers get a taste of life as an SRU dance major. They get to meet some of the faculty and dance in the studios. This proves beneficial to dancers considering attending college as a dance major or minor, especially because they can ask questions and get information from the dance faculty and current dance majors.

5. You'll start thinking about or deciding what you want to do with your dance career.

As a dancer currently in college, Forge Summer Dance Intensive helped me hone in on where I want to dance after graduation. The faculty has educated me on the careers that I'm considering, and they've given me advice on how to pursue them. I learned how to write a dance resume and how to present myself on social media. I also participated in a mock audition, which taught me what to expect when I go to a real one.

There are many reasons why you should attend a summer dance intensive, but the most important reason should be because you love to dance. If your ideal summer day consists of taking class and learning repertory, then you should apply for a summer dance intensive! I usually don't find writing difficult, but it's hard to describe just how life-changing and inspiring a summer dance intensive can be. My advice is to experience one for yourself so you can understand what I can't put into words.