'Why Would You Study Agricultural Communications?'
College

Do you love agriculture? Do you want to support those who create the food you love? Do you like people? Here is a major for you!

99
Mary Marsh

I get it. It is really tough trying to decide what to study in college. How are you supposed to know what you want to do with your life at age 18? I wish I knew what was best for you, but here are five reasons why you should pursue a degree in agricultural communications and journalism.

If you have a passion for agriculture, interacting with people and getting to be the voice for those who produce the food we eat keep reading because this might just be the major for you!

1. You get to know great people!

From interviewing farmers and ranchers to working with other agricultural communicators, you get to meet some fantastic humans. Everyone is passionate about growing good, quality food for an ever-growing population. It is easy, and fun, to meet people from other universities thanks to clubs and organizations like the Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow (ACT). Members are students just like you, who also have a common goal and mission to be the voice for those in agriculture.

2. Your degree can take you anywhere!

My degree in agricultural communications has already taken me from California to Kansas. There are jobs that span the entire country. Whether your heart is pulling at you to travel to a major city and do some agency work or if you belong in smaller towns and close-knit communities, there are jobs out there for you. You can stay as close to home or as far away from home as you want! This degree option opens up a wide variety of doors that can span the world. It is all up to you and what you want to get out of your degree.

3. You take a lot of different classes

From ruminant nutrition to environmental qualities to introduction to agricultural technology management, a degree in agricultural communications is perfect for those who have a wide set of interests and love to learn! You get to take all kinds of different classes in the college of agriculture. Subsequently, you meet a wide variety of people from all kinds of backgrounds and interests. You will never be bored, trust me! The more diverse classes you take, the more people you will meet and the more topics you can discuss later down the road. It never hurts to know a lot of different kinds of people!

4. Play to your strength!

Whether you are a writer, a photographer, have a voice for radio, a champion event planner or your passion lies in marketing and advertisements, there is a niche for you here in agricultural communications! This degree option allows for you to find your true spark and calling. The classes you will be able to take will give you the freedom to hone in on what your skills are. No matter what you love, there is a way to work it in with a degree in agriculture communications.

5. You are the voice of an incredible industry

This is an industry that has been around for 10,000 years. You get to speak on the behalf of those who are trying to feed a growing population. It is up to you to help them get their word out. You get to support them in their fight against hunger in the best way possible. You have a big responsibility as an ag communicator but with it comes major rewards. You get to showcase the farmer and rancher's best sides. You get to show the world who they really are. Good human beings who have the best of intentions and only the noblest of goals — make sure everyone has clothes on their back and food in their belly. I may be slightly biased, but how awesome is THAT?