Why Age Really Is Just A Number

Why Age Really Is Just A Number

"Live your life and forget your age." -Norman Vincent Peale

156
Why Age Really Is Just A Number

We've all heard the saying, "Age is just a number." Usually you hear it from a middle-aged human who is in denial of the inevitable aging process. When this phrase is used, it is most likely in a joking manner. Among other nonsensical phrases we commonly use, we don't delve into the possible interpretations of these sayings. I, for one, love to find a deeper meaning in the ordinary and overlooked (real hipster-esque, I know). I believe age just reminds ourselves and others how many years we have been walking on this lovely planet.

Throughout my almost 19 years of living, I have found myself bewildered about the correlation, or lack thereof, between the level of maturity and age. I have met 8-year-olds who carry themselves as if they have lived a thousand lives. I have also met 25-year-olds who act as if they are still in high school. In my opinion, judging or defining someone solely by their age is not only inaccurate, but unnecessary.

Some of my cousins (ages 7-16) act more mature than my peers. They are wise beyond their years, and I find myself wanting to "hang out" with them where it would otherwise feel like babysitting. They are continuously making me laugh until I cry, not to mention I have a distinct sense of humor.

There are adults who are exactly the opposite. I have a minuscule tolerance for closed-minded people, and I have encountered many adults who give me migraines because of this reason. In most cases, it is customers I serve at work. At the ice cream shop that I work at, there are adults who will complain and whine if we don't have their favorite flavor. I was serving an older woman one day, and when I told her we were out of the flavor she asked for, she ever so bitterly responded, "Well, you just lost my business," and then made a beeline for the door. Did I mention this was over ice cream? This happens more than I would ever want to believe. Talk about first world problems.

As a college student, I have met a large spectrum of young adults. Some of my classmates could successfully run the world tomorrow if they wanted to, while others, not so much. I was standing with a few friends in the hallway of the men's dorm on my campus waiting for our other friends. The hallway in the dorm is narrow, and there were about four of us standing there. As we were waiting, three baseball players walked into the hallway. There wasn't a clear path for them to walk through, so my group of friends started to move so the guys could continue on their way. Before we made a path, one of the guys said, "Yeah, can you guys just move?" Normally I wouldn't think twice about this, but his voice was dripping with arrogance. Are we really going to revert to back to the "I'm better than you for absolutely no reason" high school crap? I believe that with maturity should come the resolution that we are all just humans trying our best in life regardless our "status," presumed or self-proclaimed.

In my ideal world, our age would reflect our maturity. So, if you are indeed 19 years old but you have the mindset of a 14-year-old, you would be considered 14. That does appear a little too dystopian, so maybe some people should just wear shirts saying, "Warning: this human still thinks the world revolves around them." Just so it's evident who I should avoid.