Why It's Absolutely Awesome To Be Single In College

47

We've all been there. Your best friends are constantly texting their boyfriends, hanging out with their boyfriends, or even worse: talking about their boyfriends…to you… all of the time. You feel so helplessly single and alone. Every guy you've tried to date in college ended up being a total loser and you feel like it's you. Every time you come home for break, your mom isn't helping either. It's always “I saw Ann's daughter is in a relationship on Facebook!!! Do you have a boyfriend yet?? Why don't you have a boyfriend? Have you met any nice boys???"

But its not you, and you are so lucky. Not having a boyfriend in college is a blessing in disguise. You're never going to look back at these four years wishing you had a boyfriend to keep you from doing everything you wanted to do. College is when you find yourself. You can go out whenever you want, meet the most interesting people, find lifelong friends, travel the world, study absolutely anything you find appealing, join any club you can think of and live on your own. Its the first time in your life you don't have rules or curfews or anyone holding you back. Make the most of it. Be with your friends. Go out on the weekends and take the night on. College is the one chance you get to get everything out of your system. There are thousands upon thousands of people at your school. You are going to meet a different group of boys every single day. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to date here and there, and figure out who you want to be when you are older and who you want to be with. College is about making mistakes and trying things out. If you are with one person throughout all of these four years, what have you possibly learned about yourself? Chances are, the person you are with has influenced everything you think you like. Its quite possibly the best thing ever to be single throughout college. By the time you are ready for a committed relationship in the future, you wont look back at these four years and feel like you missed out on anything.

You learn from your friends' mistakes. Nothing makes you more thankful for being single than your favorite t-shirt stained in your best friends mascara from crying on your shoulder all night. I'm sure all of us single girls can't even count on both hands the amount of days we've spent consoling our friends about their loser boyfriends. All of the times they spent at that amazing party fighting with their boyfriend or texting them the entire time when you're out on a fun trip. Being single in college, you'll never get your heart broken. You'll never have to worry about sharing your bed or eating an entire carton of ice-cream with your girlfriends with no makeup on. You can binge-watch Netflix for three days straight and absolutely nobody will judge you. You can make the most out of your college experience because, let's face it; any committed relationship is a full-time job.

Finally, there is nothing worse than a single girl who hates being single. Embrace it. You are single by choice and there's nothing sexier than that. You'll develop higher standards and you'll feel more confident knowing everything you are doing is for yourself. You'll become independent and achieve great things in life without the added distractions of a relationship. You'll have the time to do everything you have always wanted to do. Make a bucket list and finish it throughout college. Life is short. Take these four years and make the most out of them. Great things come when you stop looking for them, so have a hell of a good time in between.