Why '13 Reasons Why' Is Important

Why '13 Reasons Why' Is Important

Beware, spoilers ahead.

13
Why '13 Reasons Why' Is Important

The popular Netflix show "13 Reasons Why" has taken the nation by storm. You cannot log into social media without seeing memes, articles or pictures from the show. The show's main character, Hannah Baker, committed suicide and left 13 tapes for the people who hurt her while she was alive. The show follows the lives of the students who wronged Hannah and the aftermath of her suicide. The show also discusses many different important issues. For the most part, the scenes are uncomfortable to watch and there are signs you might not pick up on.

According to teenhelp.com, suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people. While there are some signs, they can often go unnoticed. One of the biggest things in "13 Reasons Why" is Alex's suicide attempt, then later in the show, his suicide. While everyone was wrapped up in the trial of Hannah and what was going to happen to them, no one noticed Alex's suffering. You can tell he's definitely hurting and upset, but as this BuzzFeed article points out, the signs were all there. Out of all the people on the tapes, Alex felt the most remorse even saying that he planned on telling the truth and in the last episode, how he didn't have any big plans while discussing with the others what their plan of action would be. Earlier in the show, he tried to drown himself in Bryce's pool. The show demonstrates the signs and also shows viewers how they might go unnoticed even when there are subtle clues.

Since the show is based on a high school girl's suicide, the characters speak openly about this and while it's still a sensitive topic, it's something that can't go unnoticed. As previously mentioned, suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people. There are a variety of reasons that someone might consider this option, but many times we hear that the kids were bullied. Though we may think our words won't affect someone or our small actions won't upset someone, they do make a difference. Our actions or the way we treat people can really impact someone's day. It's important to remember we never know what other people are going through.

The show also brings up the subject of rape and sexual assault. In the tapes, Hannah reveals how Bryce sexually assaulted her at the store and later raped her in the pool at his party. She also reveals that Bryce raped her ex-friend, Jessica. While it's uncomfortable to watch, it's something that had to be shown realistically. Sexual assault is uncomfortable to talk about and see, but it's an important topic that we have to discuss. This is still something that happens on a daily basis. It's important to help out those who come to you about the assault.

The show overall displays things that happen in high schools across the nation. We have to keep in mind that we never know what people are going through, therefore it's essential to be kind to everyone that you meet. It's important that these topics are talked about so that people aren't afraid to come out and say that they have these issues. This Netflix show is significant for teenagers and adults alike, and hopefully, it will help teens and anyone else in these situations.