Whoopi, Your View Is Wrong

Whoopi Goldberg, Your "View" Is Just Plain Wrong

A response to Whoopi Goldberg's criticism of Bella Thorne.

135

A few days ago, star Bella Thorne revealed to the public that a hacker had gotten his hands on nude photos of her with plans to release them.

Thorne, however, took it upon herself to post screenshots of the messages she was receiving from this hacker, and these screenshots included the photographs mentioned. She decided that rather than allow some lowlife to have this disgusting form of power and control over her, she would take matters into her own hands. Releasing those photographs on her own accord appropriately placed her back in a position of dominance.

Let me start by saying I think Bella Thorne deserves a great amount of respect for this. I cannot imagine how it must feel to have someone threatening to use your private pictures against you. I am so fortunate to have never been placed in that position, but there are so many other women (and people in general) who have been, and that is, quite simply, so pathetic.

Getting back to the main point, Bella Thorne did something really brave, and frankly pretty badass, and I really commend her for that.

Unfortunately, in every situation there is at least one person who chooses to be critical, irrational, belittling, and flat-out just unnecessarily f*****g rude. This time, that person is Whoopi Goldberg of The View.

As per usual, the women of The View took it upon themselves to discuss the situation at hand with Bella's hacker. As always, they offered their opinions on the way it was handled. Whoopi, however was particularly out of place.

"If you're famous, I don't care how old you are, you don't take nude photos of yourself," Goldberg criticized. "Once you take that picture it goes into the cloud and it's available to any hacker who wants them. And if you don't know that in 2019 that this is an issue, I'm sorry, your age does not -- you don't get to do that."

....what? I have been watching The View for years now, initially starting alongside my mother. I have, more times than I can count, commended these women for being advocates for other women, and advocates for what is right. I am emphasizing my past opinions in order to illustrate that I did not enter this current controversy already biased against Goldberg. I entered it on Goldberg's side, and probably against Bella Thorne just because of judgments of the two women that I had previously made.

I stand by Bella Thorne. Whoopi, you are simply flat out wrong and there is no other way to say that.

To take something terrible that has happened to someone, to take a situation where someone's privacy, intimate conversations, and personal photographs have been acquired in order to take advantage of someone, and to say that it is their fault this happened, is absolutely disgusting. This is exactly the same mentality as asking a rape victim what they were wearing, and thus the same mentality that Whoopi herself has fought against in the past.

From one woman to another, I am so disappointed and taken aback by these comments. Do not blame the victim for the perpetrator's actions. Do not blame someone for someone else's wrongdoings. This is beyond closeminded.

I don't care if she is famous or not. Nobody gets jurisdiction over someone's life. Anyone can make their own decisions and do whatever the hell they want to regardless of fame, and to try to tell a woman that because she is famous she is not allowed to do certain things within her private relationships is ridiculous and stupid.

We should be focusing our attention of the pathetic man who did started this.

No blame should fall on Bella Thorne. Whoopi Goldberg should not have placed it there.