If Everybody Saw Therapist The World Would Be A Better Place

If Everybody Saw A Therapist, The World Would Be A Better Place

It never hurts to talk to somebody.

418

Therapy has had an unsettling reputation for years, but in the grand scheme of things what is so wrong with needing a little help?

Therapy in movies is extremely inaccurate, so don't think you have to lie down on a sofa with a curved headrest and talk into the oblivion while the therapist inattentively responds with, "How does that make you feel?" In reality, therapy provides useful tips on how to cope with your circumstances. You are able to talk for however long you would like in a safe place while the therapist not only listens but asks questions that you may not have thought of yourself.

According to the article Americans Feel Good About Counseling, written by Barna Group, studies show four out of 10 (42%) Americans adults have seen a counselor at some point in their lives. Thirty-six percent of Americans said they don't see a therapist, but they're open to it. The studies consisted of 1,021 web-based surveys amongst adults ranging from 18 to 50-years-old. Mental health is severely overlooked in today's society. You don't have to be at your lowest point in life to see a therapist. We are constantly in the state of growing up and learning new things about ourselves and our surroundings and adjusting to our "new normal."

Two struggles almost everybody has with therapy is finding the right therapist and finding time for therapy. When looking for a therapist it can be very rare to find the one you like on the first try but this does not mean you should knock the entire idea of talking to somebody. Every therapist is different and better in certain fields of psychology. You should be able to look to your therapist as a friend. Be open to discussing anything and everything, even if you think your thoughts or made up scenarios sound a little odd, it is good to say the things inside of your head out loud. You can use recommendations from doctors, ask around to your family or close friends, or go with your gut and find a local therapist.

Make time for therapy. Once again, mental health is overlooked severely. Don't let work or school cast a shadow over the things you need to do in order to keep running your body and mind. Therapy sessions can range from 30 minutes to two hours. After you have seen a therapist a couple of times you will create a schedule with them to determine how often you would like to see each other and for how long. Time will vary from person to person, but don't think you're doing something wrong if you take more or less time than others.

Therapy does not mean you are broken or weak, it just means you could use a helping hand. We all could use one. We get so busy with life every day that we push aside our mental health until we can't handle it anymore. I like to look at therapy in a positive way. I had the courage and strength to take care of myself so that I can continue to do the things that I love and make me who I am. Make your world a better place.