An Open Letter To The Little Girl Who Made Me An Aunt

You light up my world and believe it or not, teach me things, too.

1015
Grace Lundquist

Little one,

I had always dreamed of being an aunt. Well, I always wished for a little sibling, and when I realized I had to give that dream up, I'd pester your mom and dad about finally having a baby any chance I got.

I remember the moment I found out there was going to be a 'you'. I was 15 and just finishing freshman year of high school. I was so excited, but it was followed by frustration over the fact that I was going to have to wait a while to see that cute little face of yours. Those months passed by so slow, let me tell you. It felt like I was never going to meet you and get to buy all the cute clothes I had picked out.

After hours of being in the waiting room, I got to hold you for the first time. You were the first baby I'd ever held, first diaper I'd ever change, first bottle I'd feed. I know it sounds strange, but I was so excited for all of those moments (youngest child probs). But those times feel like distant memories now that your infant days are long gone.

Its funny- I was always the one being told, "I can't believe you're getting so big! I remember you when you were 'yay' big," with hands held down, measuring a couple feet off the ground. But now I've passed that role onto you. I get to know you at all your stages and watch you grow in all of your amazing ways.

But you could slow down with that, okay? The growing up?

I think whats special about us is that we're kind of growing up together. You've been to my performances, gone to my high school graduation, visited my college dorm room. And I'll be at all of yours.

Never did I imagine I would be blessed with such an amazing little lady to call my niece. You have wedged your way into every single gap possible in my heart. Its crazy to think that a happy little soul like yours could make one like mine shine on the stormiest of days. You light up my world, and, believe it or not, teach me things, too.

You remind me that life is happy and days are good. Please don't ever lose that.

You have given me a glimpse into what I have to look forward to one day when I have a family of my own. Far, far down the road... but still.

You have taught me persistence. You just recently started playing baseball and I think you could swing that bat all day if you could. Keep that up, girl.

I know, I know- everyone thinks their niece or nephew is the best, but I highly doubt it because I can't imagine a life sweeter than one with you- and now your little brother- in it. You amaze me in every which way. And I'm not just saying that because I feel obligated to. You are truly a force to be reckoned with, kiddo.

My hope is that as you (sadly, yet inevitably) get older, you see me as someone to go to when you find yourself in trouble. I hope to lead a good example for you and teach you that any woman can follow her dreams, including you. Don't ever underestimate your beauty, strength and spirit, young lady.

Besties forever, sweet girl.

Love, Auntie GG ❤️