A different version of you exists in the minds of everyone
Lifestyles

Who Knows The Real You?

A different version of you exists in the minds of everyone who knows you.

3748
Who Knows The Real You?

If you think about it, what really makes up your personality? Did you create your personality or were you personality created by all the people and moments that surround you? It's weird to think about what defines us, and if you think about it long enough you'll realize that even you only know one version of yourself. So if everybody knows one version of you, does anybody really know you at all?

What you may think of as your own personality or "yourself" really only exists for you. Even then, you don't even really know who that is- who are you to yourself? When asked to describe ourselves, we often refer to characteristics that other people have given us or what we think we are in relation to others.

It can be as simple as making eye contact with someone, smiling at a stranger, or holding the door for someone.

Now that they've interacted with you or seen you in some way, another version of you exists. For every person you encounter, there is a version of you that exists in their mind. Think about it, you know you do the same thing for every person you interact with.

Even when it comes to your family, there is multiple version of you. You're not the same "you" that you are to your mom or your dad or your grandparent or your sibling. You're not the same person to your friend than you are to your co-workers or neighbors. There are thousands of different versions of yourself that exist in other people's minds and you may never quite understand what version that is even if you try.

So think about who you want to be. To yourself, to others, what is the impact that you want to have? Sometimes it's hard to wrap your head around the fact that every little thing you do can affect somebody else. Think of the last time someone held the door for you vs. the last time someone didn't hold the door for you.

You most likely created a version of each person in your head favoring the person that held the door for you, when in reality the person that didn't hold the door for you could be a great person that just didn't see you.

You never really know what another person is going through, so it's important to understand that you should try to be kind to others. You don't have to go out of your way to do anything, but a simple smile can make a difference. Someone that met you on a bad day probably has a different impression of you than someone that met you on a great day.

Even the type of day someone else is having can affect how they view you, just because that's the mood they're in.

There are so many versions of you in this world and so many time that you'll have the opportunity to make a first impression, so make it a good one.