I Am Who God Says I Am

I Am Who God Says I Am

My identity comes from Christ alone.

24
I Am Who God Says I Am

Our worth and identity do not come from the world, the people in it or our ability to perform to a certain standard. Our worth comes directly from the God who says that we are worth more than rubies (Proverbs 3:15), and our identity comes from the Lord alone who tells us that we are His children (John 1:12).

There is an entire book dedicated to us from God Himself that explains just how precious and loved we are in His sight. The Bible is a love letter to humanity. In it, God tells us who we are in Him and who He has called us to be. Here's a few of the words that God has given us our identity in:

1. Justified and Redeemed

"But they are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus," (Romans 3:24). Christ died so that we could live. In that, we find redemption, salvation and sanctification. We know that we have been treated with so much mercy that Christ allows His death to be our redemption and justification.

"It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God- that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption," (1 Corinthians 1:30).

2. Set Free

"For the law of the life-giving Spirit in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death," (Romans 8:2).

We're no longer slaves! Christ has given us a way out and set us free from any sin and temptation we face and He alone can break our chains. We only need to lift up our trials to Him and allow Him to take them away.

3. Royalty (His Children and Coheirs)

"Because you are His sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, and the Spirit calls out, 'Abba, Father.' So, you are no longer a slave, but God's child; and since you are Hid child, God has made you also an heir," (Galatians 4:7).

Abba translates into an endearing form of "daddy." That shows that we love Him just like we love our earthly fathers. He is that close to us and wants us to come to Him just as we would go to our dads.

4. Accepted

"All those the Father gives Me will come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will never drive away," (John 6:37).

When we come to Jesus, He will not turn away from us. God has given us to Him when we are saved, and in that, He accepts the offering of our lives and accepts us just how we are- broken, messy, and in need of saving grace.

5. A New Creation

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: the old has gone, the new is here!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now, it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland," (Isaiah 43: 18-19).

God will make the wasteland and desert of our lives new. He will create streams of His living water through us so that we may become new. Jesus makes us new and revives our dry bones.

6. Fully Known and Completely Loved

"You have searched me, Lord, and You know me. You know when I sit down and when I rise; You perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue You, Lord, know it completely," (Psalm 139:1-3).

I encourage you to read this entire chapter of Psalms because it is about God being with us all the time, from our conception and to our death, and all times before and after that. It's a beautiful Psalm, sure to help you know God's love for you more fully.

7. Chosen

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light," (1 Peter 2:9).

"For He has chosen us in Him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will- to the praise of His glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves," (Ephesians 1:4-6).

God always wanted us and He made each and every one of us uniquely to glorify Him. He predestined to adopt us as His own and then made us in His image all because He wanted us that much and then He chose us, and He chooses us constantly. The reminder is so beautiful. Jesus chose and has called us to be a part of His holy nation.

8. Beloved

"Now, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither life nor death, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of the God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord," (Romans 8:37-39).

"But God shows His love for us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us," (Romans 5:8).

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not know love does not know God, because God is love," (1 John 4:7-8).

Read this whole chapter for a bigger sense of God's love shown in and through us.

9. Valued and Constantly Thought of

"'So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows'", (Matthew 10:31).

"So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created them; male and female He created them," (Genesis 1:27). Okay, this is a good one because God didn't create anything else in His image. He created you and me in His own image. In a lot of ways, we look like God! We look like Him- the King of Kings- just like He is our father. That is extremely assuring.

"Can a woman forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands; your walls are ever before me," (Isaiah 49:15-16).

He will always know us and remember us. Just as a woman doesn't forget her children who she is nursing, Christ will never forget us. He has our names written on the palms of His hands!

10. Forgiven

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for My own sake, and remembers your sins no more. Review the past for me, let us argue the matter together; state the case for your innocence," (Isaiah 43:25-26).

God knows that we have no case for innocence. He knows that we fall and sin and stray from Him, yet, He forgives us of it all and died so that we may live. He forgave us even before we sinned, and that is extremely comforting.

"In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace," (Ephesians 1:7).