Who Even Am I?

Who Even Am I?

A brief moment of reflection on 12 years with Type 1 Diabetes

123
Who Even Am I?
Emily Hudgens

Hey, hi, hello, sorry I disappeared there for a bit, this whole "school ends and summer begins and WORK really starts" thing kinda threw me for a loop (or three) but I've more or less got it on lock now. We'll see.

Anyways, I had a real article to write, so here we go.

This past Thursday, the 17th, was my 12th anniversary of the day I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Fun, right? Because of who I am as a person, I passive-aggressively celebrate the day I was diagnosed with a potentially-curable-but-I've-long-since-given-up-hope disease by eating whatever I want and not really caring about how nice my blood sugars are that day. It's delightful.

12 years is a long time, and I just realized I could have made a "waiting 12 years in Azkaban" joke and I missed it -

The point here, right, right. I've been thinking about the past 12 years and what it's been like to be living with an over-reactive immune system and a deeply lazy pancreas, and honestly? It's not that bad.

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of bad things that come with a diagnosis like this, and I'm not trying to invalidate any of that or act like I'm above it at all.

It's just, I've realized that at the end of the day, being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes didn't exactly keep me up at night. I didn't have an identity crisis, I know I am more than my immune system's nonsense. My diabetes just is (annoying, inconvenient, upsetting, sleep-deprivation-inducing, etc.) but is also something that's connected me to some pretty cool people (it's also just really fun to tell little kids I'm actually a robot and watch them try to figure out if I'm kidding or not, but that's another thing entirely).

So yes, this is short and not very in-depth, but here we are. Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta go refill my insulin pump, who is coincidentally unnamed, and I think I do want to name it. Any suggestions?