I'm A Mexican Through And Through

My Skin May Be Paler And My Life May Revolve Around 'White Culture,' But I'm Still A Mexican Through And Through

I am Mexican but people think I'm white.

185
Eva Curiel

I grew up in a Mexican family with lots of traditional customs and ideas. I lived in Tijuana, and I crossed the border every day to go to school. Even though I lived in Mexico and went to school in the United States, I still spoke Spanish fluently without problems of pronunciation or forgetting words. All that changed when I moved to San Diego. I lived in Chula Vista and life was so much easier for me. My school was closer to my house and there was a Target in every corner, or it felt like that because it was different in TJ.

I slowly got introduced to white customs by hanging out with my neighbors and friends from school. I began to speak English more frequently than Spanish. English was spoken at my house instead of Spanish. Sooner or later, I was known for being the gringa of my friend group. I began to forget words in Spanish and I spoke the language like I was American first learning Spanish. And there are many reasons for that.

One reason is that I love country music. I am a big fan of Taylor Swift and she was country back then. I watched her perform in country music awards and other country artists would perform too. I started listening to them. Now the main type of music I listen to is country! I constantly go to country concerts and wear my checkered shirt and cowboy boots. I am all about the yeehaw life. I want to go to Nashville next summer as well for my 21st birthday. I am also planning on going to Stagecoach in the spring if life lets me.

Also when people look at me, they don't think I am Mexican. They're surprised when I tell them that I am Mexican. They say that I look white or European. I am not offended but I am just hurt because I am 100% Mexican. I was born in Mexico, not in the United States! I do have pale skin so that is not helping me with my case. I just need to get tanner.

Even though moving to San Diego completely changed my life, I wouldn't want to go back to the way my life was before. I like how my life is right now, even though I am known for being a white Mexican. I'm still going to listen to country music. And throughout the years I've been taking Spanish classes, both for learning the grammar part of the language and also to learn more about Mexican history. And I recently decided to double major in Spanish so I am taking all these Spanish classes to become more fluent.

Apart from that, I am proud to be a white Mexican.